How can I start a playgroup in my town?

I've already searched and cannot find any playgroups that already exist and would like to find out where to begin.

urbinokids

Asked by urbinokids at 7:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Decide what kind you want. I belonged to two kinds. In one, the mothers dropped the children at one of the mother's houses, once a week, in turn. Each mother had a specialty that she led or taught, and the children played, and they had a nutritious treat. The other playgroup was a coffee and play morning where the moms sat and ate a snack and watched over the children who were playing. It was a social time for the moms, too. I'd say invite moms over who have children about the same age as yours. It would be best if there were some previous contact among the moms- knowing them from older children being in the same school, for example, so that you'd have an idea of what kind of participation you could expect. Meet a few times and then bring up the structured play group if that idea appeals to you. A nice thing is that it is free, and the child gets used to not having Mom around.

Answer by Bmat at 7:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Did you try www.MOPS.org or www.MomsClub.org?
    If not, give them a try.

If so, start a group on meetup.com or yahoo's groups. Other moms will find you soon enough!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I belong to a meetup.com group. If there is not one in your area, you can start one. I also belong to one at our local library. If they do not already have one, talk to the children's services director about starting one.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 8:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2009