Would you let yourself be induced in this situation?

A friend of mine's granddaughter has a baby due on February 3. She's been having mild contractions about twenty minutes apart off and on for the last couple of weeks, but they always stop when she drinks a big glass of water and lies on her left side like she's been told to. When she went to the doctor a week and a half ago, she was dilated to three. She went back for another checkup yesterday and she was at four. The doctor said she didn't like a patient to be dilated that much and stay that way for a long time. She said it wasn't good for the baby, and that if the mom was still pregnant for her next checkup on Wednesday, she'd like to induce her on Thursday. It would be a few days before her due date. She said the induction and labor will be easy since the mom is already dilated so far. This all sounds kind of odd to me. The doctor knows best, of course, but I'm wondering why the mom can't just wait for things to happen naturally. Is it honestly dangerous for the baby if the mom is dilated that far for two weeks?

I know sometimes induction is necessary, but my doctor suggested it for me because she was going on vacation and decided she'd like to get the baby born before she left--I said no and used the doc on call instead. So induction is also done for convenience sometimes. The mom-to-be is on Medicaid, and I hate to think it, but maybe the doctor wants to induce because that pays more than the wait-and-see approach and a regular delivery?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:59 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't allow myself to be induced for anything other than a medical reason. Being dilated for a couple of weeks isn't a bad thing to me and doesn't fit my definition of a medical need. I was induced at 34 weeks with my second child because of pre-eclampsia, in that case it was necessary because of the risk to our lives.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I was induced due to medical complications, but I wouldn't allow myself to be induced for the doctors or my own convenience.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I was induced twice. I'd want to be induced if I got pregnant again. I actually asked for a scheduled induction with my last delivery which was at 39 weeks. But I had high blood pressure. I needed to arrange for someone to stay with my Son overnight while I was in for delivery. Both went very smoothly & almost exactly the same to the minute.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:07 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Maybe, maybe not. I was induced twice for medical reasons, so I have nothing to compare it to. If I was that close and that dilated, I imagine I would also be very uncomfortable and unable to sleep. I might be induced.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:13 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I truly don't think Medicaid has anything to do with it.
    I'm not sure if it's dangerous or not but wondering if maybe her due date could be wrong and she's further along than dr's originally thought.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I was induced 11 days before my due date for the same reason. Would have been 12 days but I didn't have my bag with me, and my husband was at work!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• With my youngest I was 5cm dilated. The doctor told me to go to the hospital. They only thing he did was break my water to induce me.  That is the only thing I would let them do.

Answer by louise2 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I was induced with my 3rd for convenience. My oldest has autism and had I not been able to prepare him for me leaving/being gone with concrete specific dates he would have been he!! On wheels for my mom. It was a stress free delivery and I loved it!

Answer by missanc at 5:58 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• thats actually what happened to me with my 2nd
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:44 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I wouldnt but i dont get checked so that would never happen. Anyway, being xcm before labor doesnt mean she will have an easy and fast labor, just like women can go from 0 to 10 in a few hours it can also take many many hours to go from 5 to 10..its not an indication of anything.
    And being dilated is not dangerous for the baby, in many countries women arent even checked during pregnancy so its nonsense, what would be better for the mother is to stop getting checked and let nature take its course.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2013