Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Should you always apply for child support?

If you get a divorce or if your not married and you separate from partner should u automatically file for child support. Will that make the man angry and what if he doesnt have a job or money is there a point. I know who cares if he gets angry, I dont im just saying do they get angry. How does it work, can they find out if he has any money that I dont know about. He's a good man I dont want to make him have more problems than he already does, right now he's going through a hard time

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (17)
  • That all depends. Is he a good father who will remain in the child's life and WANT to be there for him or her? Will he be willing to fork out money for the child for needs and such? Does he want to spend time with the child? If these are all there, then I would seriously consider working it out in the divorce.....

    If not.... well, you still need to realize a couple of things: If he does not have a job, nor is interested in finding a job, there isn't any order out there that's going to make him work. There are also jobs out there that do not withhold child support out of their pay, such as a barge worker. Many men run to those jobs so they don't have to pay.

    Also, if he goes to jail the child support does not stop. It keeps accruing. When he gets out, he will go right back in because he owes back child support, which is usually part of the probation violation.

    So, that's your call.

    Answer by m-avi at 5:20 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Oh and if you are getting child support, I don't believe you can get cash assistance from welfare either.... ??? It's usually one or the other....

    If that helps you in any way... Otherwise that's all I got.

    Answer by m-avi at 5:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • ALWAYS apply for support and custody.
    Otherwise you have no rights.

    Answer by PartyGalAnne at 5:25 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Are you in need of the money? If you apply for CS will you actually get any from him?  Has he even given you any money for his child/ren?  

     I never wanted any CS.  They were dead beat dads anyways.  They never asked for visitation either.  Now if they wanted visitation I would have went for CS.


    Answer by louise2 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • thank you m-avi good answer, you give me lots to think about, another thing even if he is a good man, which he is, he's not that good that will split things evenly for child , is anyone, I mean he'll keep things to himself that should be half/half.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • If you want and need help from him. Go get CS. Who care if it pisses him off.

    Answer by louise2 at 5:35 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Whether he is going through a hard time or not, whether it pisses him off or not, he should have to pay at least something to support his children. If he's willing to do it voluntarily, then that's one thing. If he isn't, then get the law to make him do it. If he takes job that doesn't withhold child support, his problems won't go away. At least in some state, you can't register vehicles or get a drivers' license, or do other government things, if you owe back child support.

    Answer by Ballad at 5:46 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Yes always always apply for child support. If he's a good man he will realize that his child(ren) have needs and not get mad. Whether he's working or not they will put an order in place and if he doesn't pay it will accrue so that when he does have a job he will have yo make it up. If he doesn't pay there are enforcement measures in place.
    That being said, my ex is tens of thousands of dollars behind but he's a dick and expert at manipulating the system.

    Answer by missanc at 5:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • If you need to be on any kind of public assistance they will force a child support order to supplement your income.

    If you can handle it outside of a child support order and you trust him, cool.

    Answer by staciandababy at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

  • Always file for CS. You want a documented record of what needs to be paid PLUS INTEREST. Even if he doesn't pay it then, it will come in handy in the future. My "baby" is 33 and I'm just now getting it. It gives men incentive to get a job, min. payment is $25 month. Surely they can come up with that. It also helps if he ever wins the lottery, cs has already been established. In my case his w filed for her taxes and I got the refund. Then they started paying regularly. Even if you don't need it, put it up for the child's first car or house or wedding or something.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.