Do you make a big deal when your child does nap?

Some days my child (3) refuses to take a nap. She just goes and goes and even stays up late. Should I be concerned about her not getting adequate sleep?

teampeyton123

Asked by teampeyton123 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• "I think she should be napping."

Well, there's the problem. You think she should be, she doesn't. It's her body, Mom, and if she needed that sleep, she'd get it - or you'd know by her crankiness. I think the issue here is not so much that you think she should nap, but that you need a little quiet time - and that's fine. But rather than turn this into a battle, change it to quiet time rather than nap time. Whether you have her play quietly in her room, watch an hour of cartoons, color at the kitchen table - just tell her that you beginning a new plan of "quiet time" every day where she has to do some quiet activity for an hour or so.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Go to sleep now!
    No, I am serious. You need a nap and will sleep!

Bleh- what do you consider enough sleep?
    12 hours a day? So what if it is all at one time, i.e. 9pm-9am.
    Maybe she doesn't need a nap. Think about it. Do you always need a nap? And if i told you to do it (see above) would you be able to?

You cannot force sleep in either a child or an adult. Perhaps if you need a break tell the kid that "this is quiet time".

My mom taught me that trick and it made my days a lot less stressful.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• You can't force them to sleep but you can force them to stay in their rooms/bed... just sayin'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• She may not need a nap anymore. My 4 yo stopped napping at 3, but he still has quiet time where he lays on his bed and can look at books for an hour. Some days he still falls asleep. He's done his share of screaming too, once they learn you aren't going to give in they will stop. He also goes to bed at 8 pm.
    You are the parent. You can't make her sleep but you can make her stay in her room AND have a set bedtime.

Answer by missanc at 10:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• She will stay awake without getting crabby until ten and be up again by seven and stay up all day. I think she should be napping but do not want to make it a full blown battle of wits between myself and her. Help?
    teampeyton123

Comment by teampeyton123 (original poster) at 8:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Trying to get her to stay in her room results in her screaming like she's being hurt. :(
    teampeyton123

Comment by teampeyton123 (original poster) at 9:55 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Thanks. I'm new at all of this. First timer! I appreciate the help!
    teampeyton123

Comment by teampeyton123 (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• A child of thre or four, on average, needs eleven hours of sleep a day. Some take it all at once during the night; some do better with naps. Mine quit napping at three when she started preschool, except if she's sick or has had an exceptionally busy day. I don't make her go to her room or stay in her bed, but she often takes quiet time in a living room rcliner on her own.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:27 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Now that you mention it mine does chill alone in the living room sometimes. Thanks for the insight!
    teampeyton123

Comment by teampeyton123 (original poster) at 10:29 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Do you mean "make a big deal" like celebrating or rewarding when they DO nap? In order to try to "encourage" napping when a child begins to give up naps? No.

I was surprised that my oldest transitioned out of napping when she did, because it seemed so early. She was not yet 3. But I followed her lead once it became clear that she just wasn't falling asleep at naptime! During that transition time, she did occasionally end up napping but I didn't try to "reinforce" it by making a big deal, rewarding it, or trying to influence her to nap daily based on my response when she DID happen to nap.

Same with my younger two, who are twins. They both began to demonstrate that they really didn't need an afternoon nap, anymore at age two as well, but earlier than their sister had. I went with it.

My kids do have a natural rhythm to their daily activity. They have thoughtful periods of quiet play, listen to audiobooks, work puzzles, etc.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2013