How can I put my step son on our food stamps case, but his BM won't give us his SS card??

BM has been getting food stamps filing her kids on her case. SS13 already lived with us, but she filed first so we couldn't get him on our case. Now SS6 is coming to live with us, and we'd like to put them both on the case. However, we don't have SS6's social security card, and BM won't let DH have it. We're in Texas, if anyone knows how we can do that without the card. They do ask for it on the application. P. S. We have 6 kids between us, DH is disabled, so we are NOT milking the system. We're trying to provide for the kids that live with us, so please don't bash.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:41 PM on Jan. 26, 2013 in Just for Fun

• If the child is living with you most of the time you can add him to the case and they can get the SS# from the other case. They will contact the Mother to make sure the child now lives with his father and if she tries to apply for him in another state, she may be able to get food stamps for him unless they run his SS# thru the tracking system to see if he is on a case anywhere else and if he is, than it will become a fraud case.

You and your husband can prove the child is with you fulltime by showing some documents.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Have Dad go to the SS office and get a new copy.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:30 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Review his divorce decree. The SSNs may be there.
    If not. Go to DHS and tell them what is going on. That the kid is with you and she is fraudulently claiming them.
    Not only will they need FS, they will also need medical to be provided where they live.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:01 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• it's awarded to whomever files first, and as long as a parent sees their kid twice a month they can claim them in their case.

BS (just effing BS- I dont have the words for how wrong that BS is!) it's awarded to whomever the child lives with, to support the child.
    Talk to a supervisor. Follow up with the appeals process.

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 9:14 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I would not keep asking her for it cause she will not give i, but once she goes to the other state she will eventually mess up things for herself.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• Does the dad know the number? If not, ask the case worker what you need to do since the kids are living with you and not the mom now.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:43 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• the case workiers can get it from her FS case
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:51 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• He has the number, but they ask for a copy. The case worker told me last time that since they have joint custody, it's awarded to whomever files first, and as long as a parent sees their kid twice a month they can claim them in their case. Not very fair now that she is moving out of state and wont have her kids every other weekend like before. I guess I can always just tell the case either when they call that he lives here now and hope she doesn't file, too. I've tried to call but can't ever get a person who knows anything...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013

• I don't know how well that will go over if they call her. LOL. She wanted DH to sign a document saying he wouldnt go for full custody if she left him here...he said no. She is pretty conniving.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jan. 26, 2013