5 year old still pooping in pants adult content

My son is 5 years old and still kind of pooping in his pants. He doesn't have a full piece of poop but its like he starts but doesn't finish in his pants. I try to be nice and calm and tell him that's not ok. I have taken stuff away for a full week that didn't help. I have also tried having him read a book, color or play with his Nintendo DS but that still doesn't help. I haven't tried telling him to try going potty every hour but that will just cause a tantrum. I just don't know what to do to get him to go potty in the toilet. Its very frustrating having to clean poopy underwear and smelling it. I just wonder if he's the only one that is doing this at this age and if he isn't what did you do to get your child to stop or any ideas on how I can help him want to go in the toilet and not his pants.

MamaLisec

Asked by MamaLisec at 12:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Constipation doesn't necessarily mean the stool itself will be hard. It can just mean can't go or hard to go. It could also be that maybe his body doesn't tell him he needs to go until it's too late, or maybe he's even not recognizing the difference between the urge to poop and the urge to fart. Some people do that with diarrhea, but maybe he's got something going on that has him doing that all the time.

Have you talked to his doctor about it? I would start there, to ensure there's no physical issues causing it that need to be treated. I'd then discuss with his doctor increasing his fiber, to make going easier.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:08 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• You could tell him that it's important to help his body adjust back to normal by passing his poops more regularly, so to help that happen & encourage this "correction" (the colon can only get back to its normal unstretched size if the poop is moving along more regularly so it is not stretching out the organ, and it takes months of things working right like this before it resumes its shape) you are going to plan regular visits to the toilet.
    Pick a time that makes sense, both logistically (pick a time he's at home & can keep the routine, not during school hours, etc.) and bodily (works with regular body rhythms.) It could be mornings or evenings or in the afternoon, after a meal, after a snack, after time running around... Think of this "poop date" as being about regular time on the toilet (NOT "producing" poop on demand.) It's about giving his body a chance. Ask what he thinks could help make it ok--comics, a special game, an
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:26 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• It does sound like it could be encopresis. You can schedule to see a pediatric gastroenterologist to have them confirm if there is a blockage. They usually put the child on a dose of Mirilax or some people use mineral oil, but you should check with your Ped before starting either it get their opinion and correct dosage for your child. Also, if you up the amount of fiber you give him, make sure you up the amount of liquids he drinks as well. Extra fiber can actually make constipation worse if he does not get extra liquids.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• audiobook (you could get different ones at the library, or check out the selection of audiobooks at Barefoot Books, and make it special daily listening during that time.) Keep up the fluids & come up with some snacks for his date with the toilet that might help out...nuts, dried fruits. Chocolate can stimulate the urge to poop so you could make chocolate snaps for that time (they aren't super-sweet, more flour & cocoa powder than sugar in a typical snaps recipe, but they are pretty effective & could make the toilet time positive.)
    Soiling/leaking, or him passing gas, would be prompts for toilet time, too.

These are ways to respond to encopresis--what to do on a daily basis to help resolve the issue. Look up the term online & if it seems right, contact his doctor. They might recommend stool softeners or some dietary changes, too.

Make amends for the past: "I got upset with you sometimes & I'm sorry for that. I didn't know."
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 9:38 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Thank you girlwithC for all your information and ideas on helping me help my son fix this problem. I will make an appointment to check and see if this is encopresis. To all the other ladies thank you for your input on this topic. Thanks also to Quinnmae for the fiber info. I didn't know that.
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Jan. 27, 2013