5 year old still pooping in pants adult content

My son is 5 years old and still kind of pooping in his pants. He doesn't have a full piece of poop but its like he starts but doesn't finish in his pants. I try to be nice and calm and tell him that's not ok. I have taken stuff away for a full week that didn't help. I have also tried having him read a book, color or play with his Nintendo DS but that still doesn't help. I haven't tried telling him to try going potty every hour but that will just cause a tantrum. I just don't know what to do to get him to go potty in the toilet. Its very frustrating having to clean poopy underwear and smelling it. I just wonder if he's the only one that is doing this at this age and if he isn't what did you do to get your child to stop or any ideas on how I can help him want to go in the toilet and not his pants.

MamaLisec

Asked by MamaLisec at 12:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Have you asked him why he is doing it? Maybe he has physical reasons he is doing it. He can't tell until it's too late?
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:03 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• He told me that it takes to long and he doesn't like sitting on the potty for a long time. I tell him that's why he plays with his Nintendo DS but he says he still doesn't like it. So its out of boredom.
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 1:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• He is constipated? That happened to my daughter when she was , i couldnt work out what was going on all of a sudden I was seeing small stains on her underwear, until I realized what was going on, another thing it could be is is he wiping himself properly when he is done?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:17 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• That is true. If it takes a long time for him to poop, it could be constipation.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 1:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I don't know if he is constipated because when he does go it looks fine, Not hard. But it could be? Yes he wipes just fine cause he wants me to check and make sure he gets it all.
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 1:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Then only give him the Nintendo while he's ON the potty. He doesn't get it any other time until this stops.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:22 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• What PartyGal said! And one onf my nephews doesn't have #2 issues but it does take him awhile so you need to teach him it takes time and to be patient. It's a whole different angle on potty training but if he goes and it looks fine it sounds like you may want to try what my sister did. He's such a patient kid now! lol
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:13 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Look up the term "encopresis." The pattern of soiling you describe fits the description.
    It can happen for emotional as well as physical reasons, and the two (emotional & physical) can mingle because once a child is withholding for whatever reason, they can get constipated. Then there's a physical issue with "going."
    Once you get to the leaking stool stage, you probably are dealing with some level of constipation & stretched/enlarged colon, which means there's a good chance for an anal fissure (a small tear when passing a large, firm bowel movement) to develop. Or a fissure could have started it all.
    This all can interfere with physical signals (telling him he needs to go) from the anal sphincter. The constant internal pressure of the stool against the internal sphincter, or issues around the pain of a fissure, can cause this involuntary muscle to spasm. Anyway, it's a large constellation of issues that feedback to each other.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:21 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• The issue with constipation doesn't always involve hard or dry stool. If a child has developed encopresis, the issue of withholding and not immediately passing stool when he needs to or when he has the urge, can imply actual constipation without the issues we associate with the term (straining, hard dry stools, difficulty passing anything, etc.) It takes awhile for the colon to return to its normal size if it's been stretched and this has become the new "norm." The poop may not look hard and he may pass it eventually, but he can still fit a clinical definition of "constipation."
    It can be as simple as expressing a power struggle, or simply reluctance (fear) to poop after one poop that was hard to pass & hurt a bit, and the initial withholding results in a full-blown situation involving leaking stool in underwear, stretched colon, etc.
    Consider this a "project" situation, something you are working to correct, & take a
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:31 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• long-range approach. It's a matter of correcting an established pattern & letting his body adjust. The first thing to do is address the "dynamic."
    I would say Yes to your goal of being "nice & calm," but would recommend you not emphasize the "This isn't okay" message. You are not trying to "get" him not to leak stool in his undies; you are dealing with/responding to the fact that he presently IS leaking stool in his undies. Of course you don't want him to do it, but you need to create the conditions for correcting the underlying problem, rather than focusing on the undies as something HE'S "doing" & seeking a way to make him stop. So, strive for more of an "Oh, okay" response to the realization that he soiled, and deal with the logistics. Tell him this leaking is a signal that his body has poop ready, that right now his body's "signals" aren't working right to get the message to his brain but this is time to sit on the toilet.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 8:40 AM on Jan. 27, 2013