Do you think the Constitution is outdated? Do you think it is time we stopped hiding behind an ancient document?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57566014/professor-take-our-country-back-from-the-constitution/

I don't know what the answer is however, I do think those are questions worth considering.  It seems to me that the Constitution provided a framework to build upon and in no way could the founders have ever foreseen the world we live in today.  This is a short video from CBS THIS MORNING.  An op Ed piece.  

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• No. It's a framework to ensure our rights as citizens. The founding fathers knew the world and country would change, and that's why they made sure there was a process to amend the constitution and still ensure citizens retain their constitutional rights.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:00 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No, it is not outdated. The world has changed, yes, but the basic rights outlined still exist and are still crucial.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:57 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No, I don't think it is outdated. And I don't think we're "hiding behind" it either.

Exactly what rights do you think should be taken away?
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 1:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No. The very idea of throwing away the Constitution is horrifying. The Constitution is a flexible document that ensures the basic rights of citizens but allows for the ongoing changes in the world.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• The men who wrote the constitution knew history and accepted that history does indeed repeat itself and it does happen to all people. People who want to do away with the constitution, at least the ones that I have ran into, do not accept that anything bad could or will happen here in the United States that will stomp on their constitutional rights. They tend to believe that people are inherently good and will treat others fairly. They are dreamers IMO. Also they don't believe that anything bad will ever happen to them here in the US of A.  The founding fathers escaped from dictatorship type countries and they knew what dictatorships do to the people.  It is NOT outdated and I don't believe people hide behind an old document. 

Anonymous

• No I do not think the Constitution is outdated and I do not think we are hiding behiding a ancient document. I believe that the founding fathers were very wise and probably could not forsee this kind of world but knew the basis had to be there and it was up to the people to build from him. Anyone that thinks the constitution is outdated can move to another country with no consitution and then come back and I have a feeling they will have other feelings about it. Especially that beautiful first amendment that nooneone heave forbid will touch but they are sure would love to distroy the rest of it. hypricrites.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• not at all. i dont agree with the way some ppl interpret the Amendments (Scalia), but the Constitution as a document is fairly simple in the way it describes how our country's government will run. i think most ppl forget that the Constitution is NOT just the Amendments.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:51 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I think the only ones thinking it is outdated are the ones unhappy with the way it is working for them or their agenda. The framers were brilliant and the document is timeless.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 5:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Where does it say we are 'hiding' behind an ancient document? I found this point interesting though:

So instead of talking about whether gun control makes sense in our country, we talk about what people thought of it two centuries ago.
    Worse yet, talking about gun control in terms of constitutional obligation needlessly raises the temperature of political discussion
    .

I think the disagreement of whether gun control makes sense in our country causes the issue to break down into a discussion of what the intention of the second amendment really was during the foundation of our nation. In some cases those that want to use literal translation are also those that say it's a 'living, breathing document'.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No, and I pity those who do not understand why it is not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2013