• In the Spotlight:

how to stop using a paci

my daughter is 6 months and I want to start trying to not use the paci. She uses it when shes fussing to calm her and anytime she sleeps. I have no idea how to get her to sleep at night with out sucking on that thing...she wakes up a couple times through out the night because it fell out of her mouth and will only go back to bed if we put the paci back in

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 8:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Check out the book called Baby 411. Look for it at baby411.com
    I followed their advice on the paci and my son was off it in two days when he was four months old. He's now two and hasn't started sucking his thumb or anything. That book has some great advice.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• you will just have to break the habbit, it is hard I had to go through it with 2 of my three and for us it was hell for a week, with my 3rd, an old man told me to snip a small piece of the end off and leave the paci's laying all around the house but to do all of them the same way and he told me my son would throw it down himself...I thought he was crazey but OMG it worked. My son picked up his paci put it in his mouth and took it out to look at it, my son threw that one down and went to another one, something, he did not cry at all over it because he threw it out.
    Just snip like a 1/4 of an inch or less off the end, it changes how it feels in their mouth. I wish I had met that old man years earlier LOL. he made my life easier over that tip, let me know if it works for you
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• mine too...9 months....she is young, though. i'm not going to take the paci away until she is older, though. around a year old.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 8:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• wow that sounds EXACTLY like my daughter!!! When you figure it out fill me in!! Emily is three and STILL cant sleep without it....just lastnight she woke up cus they had all fell in the floor and she had to find them!!! When she was younger the dr told me she had a sucking fixation....never have figured out how to break her...she uses it less during the day now but HAS to have it at night,
    Sunshine38585

Answer by Sunshine38585 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009