Kid doctor drama... advice?

We're expected to travel 430 round trip on a day trip to a medical specialist soon. That's a huge investment of time and money for us, there's a specialist nearby but no openings til August. This far away doc is a board certified pediatric specialist in his field. I also checked the state med board and he's never had an official complaint or been disciplines in any capacity.

HOWEVER the online reviews are downright scary. Moms literally begging and pleading with other Moms to not take their kid to him under any circumstances. He's called creepy, rude, on the verge of abusive, and much more.

I'd like to say we just pop in and give him a try and if he acts in a way that makes us uncomfortable we just go. However then we've wasted a day of school, work, and all that gas money and are still waiting til August for help. WWYD? The past patient reviews are truly the worst I've ever seen and it's not just one or two.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 11:49 AM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Warts? You don't need a specialist for that. Seriously. My granddaughter had them terribly and they put her on Tagamet. Worked like a charm.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• If you're seeing lots of bad reviews and feeling hesitant, I say don't go. That's too far to go to end up with confirmation that the reviews were right. Just because he's never had a complaint or been disciplined doesn't mean those reviews are wrong. I filed a complaint against a doctor once when he prescribed a medication dose that would have killed my kid if the pharm didn't catch it, but nothing came of it. But I still tell everyone I know about that incident, and I've actually had people tell me they didn't go to him or stopped going to him because of that. So I wouldn't file a complaint on another doctor, but I would tell people what happened. It's more effective, in my experience.

Is the issue you're dealing with one that can wait until August? Maybe you can ask them to put you on list and if there's any cancellations before then, they can call you and you'll get in sooner?
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I would absolutely steer clear. I am all about kids doctors adn specialists having RAVE reviews before I would alloe them to see my child.
    I would wait IF you can as wendy suggested if not, get to searching for another. Good Luck
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:58 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• If this is what the parents are writing imagine how the KIDS he treats feel! Yikes. Like PP said, if it can wait till Aug. do that and get wait listed. Keep looking for an available doc.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Why does it have to be a pediatric specialist? Wouldn't it open things up if you went to a skin specialist that wasn't only pediatric?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 12:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No way would I go to a doctor with those kind of reviews. If it were just one poor one out of several good, that'd be one thing. However, it sounds as though he has tons of negative reviews.

Skip him and work on finding another specialist.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Mrs: I wish I could find another specialist. :(

Wendy: Son has warts on his fingers. He's almost to the point where he will need to drop out of orchestra which is a huge bummer, he adores violin. Whenever he uses his fingers to excess they crack and bleed. Two pediatricians (his normal one and also a 2nd one we saw for a different opinion) have both froze and scraped them 3 times now. The last time he had a light oral sedation and they were VERY aggressive w/ a scalpel hacking off tons but grew back fast and furious. We even tried this ridiculous duck tape wrapping treatment.... so August is really a terrible option.
    hibbingmom

Comment by hibbingmom (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• PS: I have no idea why it works, but it does, and there's some research behind it so it's worth a try
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:08 PM on Jan. 27, 2013