Baby cereal ... reflux epidemic?

I have a 1st & 2nd grader. Although we're TTC a 3rd kiddo I must say it's shocking how much has changed in just the 5ish years since I had a little one. I've kept up to date with SOME stuff but mostly just what is relevant to my current kids

That being said I have a lot of pregnant friends and friends w/ under a year old babies. Reflux is a word I am hearing tossed around non stop right now. What's going on with that? Pediatricians from all areas seem to be heavily encouraging rice cereal to soothe babies. I distinctly remember at my daughters 9 month wellness check the doc saying we could start trying veg/cereal slowly at that point. Now I am seeing 2-3 month old babies having a bowl of it for breakfast and the video of the kid being too small for a highchair and not knowing how to react to a spoon in its mouth is supposed to be adorable and/or hilarious

Is reflux super common these days or are these a series of coincidences I'm seeing?

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:11 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My now 13 yo had reflux. The dr prescribed Zantac but we still didn't start cereal until 5-6 months. However, when I was a baby the drs recommended starting cereal at only a couple weeks!
    It does seem that reflux is being diagnosed more often for babies that 10-15 years ago would just have been known as "spitters"!

Answer by missanc at 2:14 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I think that it is more colicy babies and the mothers just assume its acid reflux but if the baby spits up alought and nothing rice based will help then it very well may be acid reflux, its hard to tell but I would not worry about it to much. If your kids have not had a lot of problems in the past then this one hsould have no problem.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 2:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• My kids were both refluxers (we have a lot of GI problems in the family). One had silent reflux and one had the puketastic kind. My oldest was diagnosed with silent reflux when he was screaming about 20 hours a day and he had stopped nursing and sleeping. It was horrible.
    Both ended up on Prevacid and Reglan. I never gave either of them formula or cereal. I breastfed them (which is so much easier on a reflux baby's stomach because chemicals in formula expands and makes reflux babies puke more). When I started them on solids, it was vegetables or fruit from a spoon.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:02 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• DD has a bit of reflux but not until she started solid food. I too have noticed A LOT of talk of reflux going around my circle of friends with babies and I honestly wonder if it has to do with the formula they are using. Like the brand is not right for the baby or they are not mixing it right... or something in the tap water they mix it with... I only wonder because I personally have not heard any of my friend who are breast feeding ( granted that is a much smaller number of friends) having a reflux problem...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No it is not common
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 11:14 PM on Mar. 20, 2014