I think my son is teething?

Is 5 1/2 months old to young for a baby to begin teething I have been giving him baby tylenol for his fever's and rubbing baby orajel on his gums but I dont even know if its possible for a child to teeth at this age. He has been super colicy like for the past three days and most of the time I want to pull my hair out and cry because I dont know what he needs. Any suggestions?

Im-HiDdEn

Asked by Im-HiDdEn at 2:30 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have seen babies teeth at 3 months so 5 1/2 months is definitely possible. However, I would not give him the baby orajel. While it does help with pain at the time, it makes the gums tough so once the tooth does break through, it is more painful. Try the frozen rings or a homeopathic teething tablet.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• "but then it comes to a time where mommy needs time alone too."

Welcome to motherhood. You may need it.....doesn't mean you're going to get it. He shouldn't be running fevers for long periods of time. How long and how high are his fevers? Have you spoken to his pediatrician?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 3:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• comfort him lots! & get some chew toys you keep in the freezer your baby can naw at or try a small peice of frozen carrot - are you BF? if so that is very soothing for them also
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• If your baby doesn't like the frozen tething rings, you might try the mesh net ones that you can put fruit in and freeze. They taste good and feel good on the gums, and the baby can't choke on any fruit pieces because of the fine mesh. The only problem with them is that they tend to make a sticky mess.

Could your baby be suffering from tummytroubles instead? Try Gripewater, which is an herbal sooher.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• have u talked to your pediatrician? teething is possible at this stage but how can u be so sure that these symptoms are for teething only. there might be something else which he is not able to explain.
    newmommy121211

Answer by newmommy121211 at 12:20 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I have been trying the teething rings but he does not seem to like them much and I am not BF. It dried up on the deer hunt sadly. I have been swadeling him and comforting him as much as I can but then it comes to a time where mommy needs time alone too.
    Im-HiDdEn

Comment by Im-HiDdEn (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Jan. 27, 2013