Are the dinners you cook healthy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• for the most part, but now a days it is getting harder to cook healthy, fruits and veggies are so expensive, about anything that comes in a box or can is loaded with junk or sodium that our bodies do not need.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I try to but my kids rebel. Everytime I cook a really healthy meal, they say they are not hungry. Now if I make pizza or even hamburger helper they are all over it!!! Darn picky eaters!
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 8:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think so. We try to cook more with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. We hardly bread anything and will sautee or bake things instead of frying them. I try to have some sort of veggie on the plate, along with a starch and protein.

My son is only 8 months old, but I'm hoping he won't be a picky eater. As of right now, we haven't given him anything he DOES NOT like ... so hopefully that's a good sign :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 8:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• jajumommy I so agree.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I do all of the cooking and I am proud to say that I take my sweet time and cook extremely healthy, hardly ever using anything frozen or from a can or box. It is a little more expensive for fresh produce, but the quality and taste are worth it. Like the other poster said, we too use EVOO. We've never given my daughter baby food or separate meals so now that she is 3, she will eat whatever I cook.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• mostly. Though some nights I like to garbage out. I try not to use premade and boxed stuff often but you know some nights I'm rushed. My dinner tonight stunk. I had a bag of doritos, a can of coke and a tube of sour starbursts. But I was working and well lazy. And the kids don't know.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I try to cook as healthy as I can. Not as healthy as I'd like because good stuff can be expensive. I'll usually do a meat, rice, a veggie and salad. I very rarely used anything boxed or canned. I like to keep it simple.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 11:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think so! We always serve a vegetable and cut down on fried foods.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 11:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• For the most part yes. We eat well balanced meals, but we do have our moments where we want pizza or fried chicken.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 11:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Pretty much all of them. Every month or two we'll have something fried because my husband likes it but that's about as unhealthy as it gets. We don't eat any of the pre-made frozen foods or stuff in a box(like hamburger helper)
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2009