A TN lawmaker considers cutting welfare benefits if the child fails in school

http://news.yahoo.com/tennessee-lawmaker-bill-cut-welfare-benefits-children-fail-164447056.html

Opinions on this one ladies?

With all the cuts in education being made, I wonder if tutoring will be available to those who need it?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• This angers me so much that I have no words to express it. Instead, how about they give more funding to schools to do parent involvement activities or teach the parents how to help their child(ren). With my job, I am a parent involvement coordinator. The majority of my parents want and are willing to help their child. Some need the education on how to do that, others its a language barrier, and some are working 2-3 jobs just so they can support their family. Cutting their food stamps is the last thing that a child needs. Not only will the child go hungry now because of either a learning disability, or having trouble learning a particular, the child will have the guilt of knowing that it is "their" fault. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:17 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• If they're stupid enough to pass it in the first place, it will get turned over on discrimination grounds.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:24 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• "The three legs are schools, teachers, and parents."

Where is the child's responsibility in all this. As a homeschooling mother, I can tell you that even if I sit on my kid 24/7, if he doesn't want to learn, he won't learn. Period. Parents and teachers have a responsibility in a child's education, absolutely, and a large one. But the kid has to want to learn, and if they don't, this won't help.

I don't know that this will have the effect they intend. I also agree with the statement in the article asking how the child will do his homework with no food on the dinner table. If it's a child struggling to learn, making him go hungry to punish his parents isn't going to make him learn any better.

Maybe the more appropriate action would be to work on providing tutors and teaching those parents that need it how to be more involved. Determine why the kid is failing rather than just punish them and their parents.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:18 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I wonder when those in charge are going to realize that all these changes, new math, and no time for science and history are hurting more than helping. I know locally they just changed the way they teach math AGAIN, and it's taking time for the teachers to learn the new method and so much longer for the kids to get it! They don't have time to teach science AND history so they alternate weeks! When I tried to get math help for my daughter when she was struggling I was told the teacher couldn't meet with her after class or after school as she was too busy and she never never got help. I was always up there and I asked for help so many times AND I hired outside tutors with degrees in Math! She still failed. We chose to home school this year too. I agree with a PP that there are too many variables that go into the WHY a child is failing and pulling their food/healthcare/ect over it will help nothing. Back to Basics.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• It always amazes me the idiots that get elected into office!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• i am sure that many fo those on welfare are UNABLE to help thier children with shool work. Why punish a child by taking thier food because they did not do well.

They already have drawbacks being on the poverty level, lets hit them where it hurts their tummies

Jesus, that man needs a brain. Make it a req that the parents see to it they go to school, if they are in school then who the hell are youto take anything, they are THERE. Now if the parents are just letting them stay home all then find another way to make your point. Dont take a childs food. Stupid politicians really piss me off
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• theres no words for this!! its beyond idiotic

rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• This is just despicable. There are people who are poor, people who need help for a short time and a few who abuse the system. These laws are abusive and seem designed to wear people down and discourage people from applying for assistance.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Yet another example of why politicians should be regularly drug-tested ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 3:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I do not see anything inherently wrong with this proposal.

My son's best friend was diagnosed with lukemia several years ago. He's since in remission and doing fine, but for the year and a half where they didn't know if he was going to come out the other side, his older sister struggled in school. She did not have any direct disability - she had a fuck ton of stress coupled with frequent out of town trips to the children's hospital 3 hrs away disrupting her schedule.

I can just imagine if they'd been on assistance at the time and ended up losing it because her grades suffered while that was going on. That situation is not unique, and it's only one combination of circumstances that can result in a child doing badly in school that has nothing to do with effort. Rules like this are the equivalent of zero-tolerance policies in schools - they'll be overkill more than they're applicable.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2013