Stupid people...

So, we  bought my daughter a car- but about 7 months after, it needed some work done and when we took it in we found out that it was going to cost over 1,000 dollars to fix. We decided at that point to just sell it. That was the end of September. The guy who bought it did not register it and I guess he totaled it. Hubby got a call a couple of days ago asking if he had been in an accident -he said no, then they asked if I had been and he said no. That's when they told him the car had been totaled.
Here is the problem-
We have looked EVERYWHERE for the proof of sale we had him sign for us and we cannot find it.
Anyone know what will happen now? Are we going to be responsible for this? UGH
We have his name and number- but that's it (somehow managed to find the paper we wrote that on when he called us about the car)

*there really isn't a good category for this one!

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 7:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Money & Work

• If he did not file the title change then it may be on you. I also go with the person to the registration office and do not sign the title until we are both there and they pay and sign for title change.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• SO you don't have title to this car? If not, you won't be able to sell it w/out the cooperation of the guy you bought the car from. You may have to get a lawyer involved if he won't cooperate. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• no- he has the title. He paid cash and we signed it over to him
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 7:29 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• If you signed the title and gave it to him then you're okay. It'll be on him if he didn't register the car.
    All they have yo do is locate the title.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Oh- so he failed to register the title of the car in his name? Well, that should still be on him then. That means he was driving without proper tags & registration & that will get him in trouble too. I'm assuming you let your insurance co. know that you sold the car right? I don't think you guys can be held responsible for any of it.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

Yes- we dropped the insurance on it the day after we sold it to him
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Hubby was asleep when they called about it (he works nights) and I guess it was an insurance company calling. They told him they needed the proof of sale from us...
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

well-crap

charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Yeah, if he didn't put it in his name, then all the paperwork shows you as still being the owner of the car. You need that bill of sale, or you need to get him to sign a new one (good luck with that now that he wrecked it!). Good luck - I hope you find the paper you need.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:25 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I think if you dropped the insurance you might be ok. Was there a police report filed for the accident? There must be one somewhere if anyone filed a claim with their insurance. Who called you?
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:48 PM on Jan. 27, 2013