Do you have a stinky washing machine?

I have seen that banner for Tide way too often, and I can't help but wonder why do their washers smell so bad that they're making that face? My washer has no odor at all. If it did, vinegar is easy and cheap.

Ginger0104

Asked by Ginger0104 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in Home & Garden

• How on earth do you get a stinky washing machine? I have (always had) a front loading machine and have never, ever had a smell other than that of the detergent or the softener... Maybe people don't know that they're supposed to wipe the rubber seal round the door after each day's wash...? It's the only thing I can think of.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Front loading washers tend to develop a smell most often. I have a front loader, but have found that leaving the washer door open between washes prevents a smell.

Answer by missanc at 7:55 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Nope. I add a dropper of tea tree oil to every load to keep the laundry and machine clean and fresh.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:43 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Nope- I have never had a washer take on a smell--- even when I worked at a vets office and all we washed was poo covered towels the washer never had a smell... I mean not after it washed the stuff! lol. ... and if it did... I would just run a rinse cycle empty with vinegar or bleach
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Nope. I use Scentsy's Washer Whiffs.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:27 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I find a hot bleach load on a regular basis keeps everything nice smelling. I use a fancy pants thick ultra bleach from chlorox that doesn't smell as harsh and seems kinder to my whites.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:42 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• No. But I have a regular top loading washer not one of the newer front loading ones.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I think it depends on what kind of water you have, we have very hard water, and my washer had an "off" smell, I used a cup of vinegar and ran a cycle, now I leave the door open and do this about once a month.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 9:40 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• As others have stated, the front loaders tend to hold a bit of water in the steel drum after each wash. If not used often, the undrained water can create an oder and mold. Also, most front loaders have a trap that catches large objects before they drain into the exit hose. These traps can accumulate gunk that can cause a smell and draining issues.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• No, I do not!
    CuriousArentYa

Answer by CuriousArentYa at 6:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2013