What do you know of catholic K-8 education compared to public

kujus04

Asked by kujus04 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

• It would depend on the school. If you are looking for information about a particular school try Great Schools- http://www.greatschools.org/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:46 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I am a public school teacher, so I'm kind of biased. I don't have any exposure to Catholic schools, but I have taught in public schools for 20 years, and I have taught in dozens of schools. I'm an elementary school music teacher , we teach in at least 2 school every year, and they move us around a lot. I have also taught in 3 different school districts. From my experience, 99% of the teachers in the schools I have been in have excellent teachers. We are evaluated 2 times a year. The teachers learn about and use the most recent best practices. There are many resources for kids who are struggling. I'm not sure what Catholic schools do.
    musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:05 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I know that some Catholic schools are better than public, some are worse.

Answer by missanc at 7:54 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• it all depends on the school, the teachers, the environment, etc. i do know that Catholic schools (like most religious private schools) teach their faith as part of the curriculum, which means something else doesnt get taught in that time. BUT if that is important to you, then its probably worth it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• I would venture to say that just about any private school is better than public. Just my opinion. BTW I am a product of the public school system and kids are coming out less educated than they did 15 years ago when I graduated.
    Anonymous

• You have to compare schools in your area.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Hard to say, depends on the school. If we end up putting our kids in private it'll be for high school. I know several families that gave up on one of our local Catholic schools and went public. I also know a few families that swear by that Catholic school and would never change. Depends on if your child's needs are being met I guess.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:13 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Its more on religion I think.
    Im-HiDdEn

Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 3:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2013