Anyone elses kid FREAK OUT at the dentist?

My son is terrified of the dentist. I took him in the other day for a toothache and it was a headache trying to get him to do anything without freaking out. Of course all they did was look at it then we had to make an appt for a filling. Now his tooth is hurting worse, and the thing is we have public aid, so the wait for a pediatric dentist is over a month. Im going to call a regular dentist tomorrow to see if we can get him in sooner, and now hes freaking out even worse. Ugh I feel like I will have to put him in a straight jacket just to get a filling. Idk maybe im just letting off some steam, but anyone who has ever been in this situation and could give me some pointers will be a huge help! My son is 6 btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes I had to take my kids to a pediatric dentist because my DD was so scared. They had to sedate her slightly with gas just to look in her mouth.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Do you have a local pediatric dentist?? They normally have fun activities(video games,virtual reality glasses) for the kids to do while they are getting worked o n.G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:35 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• The closest pediatric dentist that accepts public aid has over a month long wait. I made an appt to get his filling but it wont be til march 7th, ridiculous! So looks like I dont have a choice but to take him to a refular dentist because I really dont want to hear him whine about his tooth every day for another month!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• My youngest son has always been fine at the dentist. My oldest son used to be terrified of the dentist, until I found him one that is just great with kids. Now that he feels like he can trust the dentist, he's fine.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:47 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• My grandson is this way and really there is not a lot you can do about it.
    Use every trip at your disposal including guilt and or fear of worse consequences.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• Be sure to let the regular dentist know that your child is fearful, and how old he is. That might affect the length of your appointment, as well as which doctor in a practice does the job. If your son is really upset or refusing to cooperate, some dentists will end the appointment without doing the work. I learned that the hard way because my stepson, who has Asperger's syndrome, reacted just against being touched. Also, ask the dentist to put a topical anesthetic on your son's gums and let it sit there for five or ten minutes before doing the numbing shots. That way the shots won't hurt so much, and confirm your son's fears. Good luck.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:07 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• LOL, my kids are fine at the dentist, I am the one who freaks!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 11:21 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

• One dentist wouldn't let parents come back and ya they would FREAK out. I switched and now they are fine.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 12:13 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Thankfully no. DD has always loved the dentist. Ours would make over her and sit and talk with her even before she started seeing him, so she really liked him. Her first trip back to the chair, she didn't even want me to go with her. A couple years after that, she had to be put under to fill and cap several of her molars and that didn't even scare her into not liking him. We just went a couple weeks ago and she went right back by herself (she's almost 7) chatting away to him about her day.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:22 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• My son never liked the dentist, but daughter did not mind
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 11:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2014