Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about a 1099-MISC Form

Ok I filed my taxes on the 14th of Jan. I got my deposit and all was right in the world. Well not even 3 days later I get a 1099-misc form in the mail. So Now I have to amend my taxes and pay the IRS back. No biggy. Well I am trying to Amend the tax forms and when I was error checking on Turbo Tax, they started to ask weird questions that I have no idea what the answers and what to fill in these blanks with. currently it thinks my husband runs his own business. Which he does not. So I plugged in the employers addy. Well now it's asking for an accounting method and a principal business code. I am SO LOST!! I don't know what to enter and I don't want to screw up my amendment and have the IRS knocking on my door. Does idea what their talking about and if so can you e-mail me. *sigh* why can't people just send out w-2's!! it's so much simpler. Thanks in advance.

Answer Question

Asked by YamahaGoddess at 8:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • A 1099 is for like contract work that was done. Those are wages that you worked, but no taxes were withheld from them. Usually contractors get them, but you must have done some type of work that they didn't actually put you on the payroll for. Does that make sense?

    Answer by kboney29 at 8:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

  • If was less than $400 I don't think you need to claim it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

  • Do you have a home based business you are earning commission income also?

    Answer by RidingPink at 9:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

  • If he received the 1099 misc, remember, so did the IRS. That said, for the questions that do not apply, just keep clicking thru the questions till you get to one that applies to your husbands situation. A 1099 covers all kinds of income, from the taxpayer owning and running his own business, to someone who was paid like a contractor. The questions you posted do not apply so keep 'a clickin' on thru it. :)

    Answer by lifeasinoit at 9:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

  • Kb- I know what the form is for, He worked at like Security for like a week and the "employer" just paid him with a check with no with holding's.

    Anon 8.43- He made over that 400 limit, other wise i would toss it to the side LOL.

    Riding- No he was just contracted to do this job one time to make extra cash.

    Life- THANK YOU! I'm gonna try and delete what i started and redo it. If that fails I'm calling the tax center and making an appointment. I don't need to lose any more hair then i already have. lol.


    Answer by YamahaGoddess at 9:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

  • I believe if you need to do an amended tax return you have to go and have it done by someone. I couldn't do mine online after I filed. I would go to H&R block or somewhere and just have them amended. It shouldn't cost that much. Better that then to mess something up!

    Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

  • Double check the input. I know in my tax software there are multiple places to input 1099 income. One of which would be business income. There is also a spot for "other income" which then allows me to code it as self employment so you can pay the taxes, if necessary. I'm not too familiar with Turbo tax, but something to consider.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.