Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Off my 1st question about guardians

so what happens when the parents aren't together.. never married.. and no legal custody paperwork.. lets say the mother gets married and the father never does.. if one was to die, does the child automatically go to the father?? or whom ever the mother says??

Answer Question

Asked by mampanda0422 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 27, 2013 in General Parenting

Level 16 (2,395 Credits)
Answers (14)
  • To the father unless he was proven unfit

    Answer by Dardenella at 11:52 PM on Jan. 27, 2013

  • Normally the biological parent, if they are unfit normally another blood relative

    Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:44 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

  • If there's no other plan already in place, I think the legal solution is that the child goes to their other biological parent. Personally, though, I think that would be the worst thing for the child - they've just lost Mom/Dad and now they're being ripped from their home to live with the other parent. Even if they know and love the other parent and see the regularly, it would have to be painful.

    I would talk to your ex and see if you could get him to agree that, in the event something happened to you, your mutual child could stay with your husband - or at least arrange to make it a slow transition over time so it would be less traumatic to your child.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:59 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

  • Make a written will and have it authorized so then everything is clear in case anything happens.

    Answer by Im-HiDdEn at 3:04 AM on Feb. 2, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.