This is getting stupid! (school vent)

the school down the street has two buses that come before the school opens at 7:45. my kids have to be down there at 6:50 and the next bus comes at 7:10. for the past two weeks the school has made the kids stand outside while waiting for the buses. i called board of education last month and they told me that the janitor is suppose to unlock the one set of doors so the kids can stand inside out of the weather. but only if the weather is 20 or below or it's rainy, snowy, or too hot. all last week the morning temps were 10 or below. and they still didn't open the doors.
i called boe again and this time i just got the run around. i spoke to three people in different departments and then hit a brick wall when i was told the person i needed to speak too was in a meeting and he'll call me back. never happened!

here's the question: do i call them again and see if they give me the run around again, or just say screw it and call the local media?
what would you do? or have you dealt with this before?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 28, 2013 in

• that's why i take them to school. i have a kinder, 2nd and 5th grader. i stay with them until the bus gets there or when they went to the school i stood with them until the doors opened for breakfast. but a lot of parents just push their kids out of the car because they have to go to work.
    they ride the bus because right now we have no wheels and it's a 45 min drive to their school.
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 8:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• That is awful!!! The kids stand alone at the school? Aren't they worried that the kids could get abducted or wader off? I would drive my kid. I don't know what else. That is really horrible. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I agree with PP get the media involved. G/L
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I say call the news as well! I also would be dropping my kids off until they got it fixed, enlist other parents to help you!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 10:26 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Same thing happened in our town. A mom called the news stations and all of a sudden the doors were open and the policy had changed. Sometimes you have to embarrass the shit out of them to get the safety issues actually implemented.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:38 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• i've had to deal with him for the past three years so i know it's just easier to go over his head. truthfully he doesn't really care. i've already spoken to him and his staff. mr. wood on the other hand gets there at 7:20. and still the doors are locked.

@lovemydog: my kids go to a different school (a special program that they are on) and have to meet the bus at 6:50. there are a total of 15 kids who get on that same bus. i'm not sure where the second bus goes, but it is also k-6 graders that are waiting for it.
    the school we have to walk to is only six blocks from us, but we have two lights we have to fight with before we get there.

noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Why did you go over the principals head to the board? Put the principal on your cell and if the doors aren't open call from the sidewalk out front and remind the jacka$$ what the freaken rules are. If the school is "down the street" I assume you are walking them and they are not riding the bus which makes me wonder why they are getting there so early.  More details on this situation would be helpful.  If they are riding the bus, but are within walking distance, I would wait until the last possible minute and walk them to school.  Of course that means that you are out in the cold yourself that much longer, but walking is warmer than standing still and the exercise is good. (I walked to school from 2nd grade through 6th,  just under a half mile each way. rain, snow whatever.)

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:34 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I have found when dealing w/ any public entity, it's best to give them the heads up that the media will be contacted if you do not get the desired response. That usually works. So try one last call today stating that you intend to contact the local media if changes are not made & I'm betting that things will change. Speaking from experience, it's worked for me. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:22 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I would've already made a public stink. Call the media!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:21 AM on Jan. 28, 2013