I thought it was bedbugs, now that no longer make sense...help!

Hi!
DF and I bought an old house for our small family, (DS 9, SS 4), a fixer-upper. We had serious problems with the move and lost a bed. There was a nice new mattress left in the house. I inspected it, cleaned it, ect.

Third day at the new house, my DS came to me and said he had bites on him. I checked, pronounced it bedbugs (had them once before a couple years ago. I checked everyone else, no bites. Unusual, as SS and DS are together so much, laid on that bed playing video games together, but whatever. Immediately got rid of mattress, bagged up all worn clothing, bedding, pillows, anything on or near bed. Sprayed the room, got new blankets, cushions from couch, and DS slept there. Before he went to bed, I had him count bites and show me so we could be certain no new bites appeared that night.

Next morning, three new bites appeared, I am certain they are new, ones on his forehead. Checked everyone else again, nothing. Wondered if it could be hives, gave DS a benedryl as recommended for bedbug itching as well as hives. It made no difference to bites, ruled out hives. Okay, remove everything but wood cabinets from room, pile everything in backyard (20 degrees out) until it can be steam cleaned and returned, fumigate and seal off that bedroom. I only kept 4-5 articles of carefully inspected clothing that was nowhere near bed area. I set these in upstairs hallway. DS moved to dining room for the night. Got him cushions off a different couch downstairs, blankets from a box in downstairs family room. DS had nothing from his bedroom AT ALL.

This morning, before school - DS has new bites. I climbed into the 'bed' we had made for him. Chilled there allk through breakfast with SS. No bites. No one else has any bites. I dont think bedbugs make sense now. Anyone have any ideas? I dont know what else to do. What can it be, what am I missing here? Moms, shed some light on this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Also, have you thought about fleas?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:35 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• we had them once, not everyone has a reaction to them. Only my dd had the redness and raised bumps. Upon research, found that not everyone reacts. I would exterminate professionally. It could be or not but better safe than sorry.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:15 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• They don't just live in beds. Those little bastards could be hanging out in the baseboards or the cracks between the floor boards

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:32 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Call an exterminator & a dermatologist. Mites or other microscopic organisms like that can also cause bites. An exterminator can rid your house of most if not all pests & a dermatologist can help you pinpoint what it is. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Last summer I thought my son, 6, had bed bugs. He was getting tons of bites overnight. BUT my other son, 2, who shares a room and usually climbs out of his crib to sleep with his brother had NOTHING! This went on for about two weeks. I told the landlord and he sent an exterminator. He checked the mattress and bedframe and said he didn't see any evidence of bedbugs, but not to rule them out completely and he sprayed the room. My son had a few new bites, but then they all cleared up. Don't know what it was, but the exterminator definitely helped.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 11:05 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• have you considered it might be just a random bug bite? i know we have those nasty ladybugs here that bite when in season. You just moved so i guess it would all be new. maybe you a flea bomb?
    lovekitchenmama

Answer by lovekitchenmama at 11:06 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Thanks for the input! I have sprayed with the best insecticide, this stuff works on everything, so if its bugs it should clear it up. DS has about 25-30 bites, so not just a random bug bite. He's covered. Mites, I didnt consider that, I read an article about those not long ago, I'll check that out. How could be possibly get more bites, on a different floor of house with nothing that was ever in his room? If dining room has bugs, SS would have bites, I have a TYV console in there, he lays on a rug and watches cartoons while I cook meals in kitchen. Bites slow to pop out, maybe?
    I really appreciate the input, ladies!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Fleas
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2013

• fleas were my first thought
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2013