has anyone here had their child be diagnosed with an enlarged adenoid gland?

and when u brought them to the ent doc (ear nose throat) wut did they do about it? wut kind of tests did they do to make sure thats wut it was and wut did they do to take care of it? did ur child have to have surgery or was it managed with meds? thanks

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son had the adnoids and the toncles. He had them removed with surgery. They did the looking in the nose and throat thing nothing hard on child. My son was 3 at the time he did not stay in the hospital depending on age I would ask about after treatment in our case we should have taken it but did not. He did not want to drink so he dehydrated. It would have saved us many nights in the hospital for dehydration and he started to bleed from the scabs of the toncles My step son had his adnoids out and he did fine no problems nothing. I know I found a site for my step son to watch online to show him what they were giong to do he was older at the time. Talk to the ent they will tell you everything you need to know. Also they will tell you if it is really bad or not. In my sons case he would skip a breath during the night and they said if we would not get them out it could enlarge his heart when he was older He is great now.
    laralizbeth81

Answer by laralizbeth81 at 12:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• My daughter had both her tonsils and adenoids removed at 4. Prior to having them removed, she was our little booger-bot. Her nose ran constantly, she snored extremely loudly, she we the bed nearly every night, and she was always ill.

Now she is 6, sleeps well, rarely gets sick, and doesn't snore.
    lilmami81

Answer by lilmami81 at 1:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Our daughter had her adenoids out at 18 months, she did great. They will probably take her tonsils out later, as she is only three now. I think this operation is so routine that it is very safe.
    nancyloo

Answer by nancyloo at 8:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2009