Can I request......

I made an appointment with my obgyn for Friday (the 1st) because I am 10 days late with a bfn and I want to know one way or the other what is going on. The receptionist said that they will do a wellness check (pap) which is fine, I need one anyway because I've been putting it off and she said they will do a pregnancy test too since I am 10 days late and getting negative results at home. When I asked if it would be a blood test she said she wants sure what the doctor would choose to do. I still have 1 home test that I plan to take anyway either on Thursday or Friday morning.

My question is, if they say that they want to do a urine test can I request a blood test too or instead? I'm having no luck with the urine tests and I'd rather just have the blood test so that I can be sure one way or the other if pregnancy is the cause of my missed period.

SMG1120

Asked by SMG1120 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Pregnancy

• The Dr. probably has to follow the rules of the insurance co. You can ask, but it does not guarantee you will get what you want. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:30 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• If the insurance company will only pay for a urine test, you can ask for a blood test an pay for it out of your pocket. I have no idea how much it costs.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:41 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Do you mind paying out of pocket?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Paying out of pocket isnt a huge deal. We have an account just for medical things.
    SMG1120

Comment by SMG1120 (original poster) at 3:29 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Blood tests are much more accurate. I kept doing the at home tests for all five of my children, and every time up until my 5th month they came out negative. I took the at home tests even after the doctor had done the blood test and told me I was pregnant just to see how long they would have kept coming out negative when they should have been reading positive. It never came out postitive until I was in my 5th month. The at home pregnancy tests are only 93% accurate, where a blood test is 99% and will also alert the doctor if there are other problems that need to be addressed.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 3:32 PM on Feb. 2, 2013