Avocados and my mother n law...

She flipped out yesterday on me for giving my child an avocado for her daily afternoon snack. My child loves them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, but she claims due to the calories and fat that a person should only eat avocados once per week.

Is she right?

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 11:45 AM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Food & Drink

• No, she's not. They're full of healthy fats and are considered a super food.

How old is your child?
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• She over-reacted. Avocados are fatty but, it's healthy fat.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• First of all, it's none of your mother-in-law's business what you give your child to snac on. Unless she saw you offering the kid drain cleaner or rat poison, she should have kept her mouth shut.

Secondly, since your daughter is healthy and not struggling with obesity, avocadoes are fine. There are a lot of fattier snacks you could have given her with far less nutritional value.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Hey, I'd just be happy my kid liked avocados. I don't like them and neither do any of my kids, but they are good for you and the fat in them is the good kind. I'm curious as to what she'd rather have your dd have as a snack.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I eat up to 2 avocados a day and I'm of completely normal weight. I think you are fine. Avocados are full of great nutrition!
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• My 1 yo eats avocados all the time.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:53 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Even for fat people they are good, lowers bad HDL, etc, why are you telling your MIL about the snacks you feed your kid? She needs to MHOB.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• No. I'm not a fan of avocados, but they are really healthy for you.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Funny she would suggest cheese.Though also can be a healthy food it also has a lot of fat.Not saying children shouldn't eat cheese but that if someone was complaining of avocado being a bad snack due to fat content I wouldn't think they would pick cheese as an alternative. Too funny.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:47 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Show this comparison to your mil. Avocado v. Cheese. While cheese has more protein, it also has more calories and fat. A lot more depending on the kind of cheese.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2013