any input?

so ive decided im not going to do the formula supplementing....i am taking my pump with me everywhere i go so i can pump every couple of hours to try to produce more milk. i am getting about 2 oz. every 2 hrs. that about right? any input, encouragement would be helpful. im trying to do whats best for my DD.

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 9:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give you lots of credit. I couldn't do that :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Good for you! I did the same thing. I've pumped on a plane, in the car, at friends' house, etc. I developed 3 mastisis infections while breastfeeding, hence the pump. I think you're doing a great job and making an extra effort when most women would give up.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Unless you need to pump to store milk (if you're working, for example), it really isn't necessary to pump just to increase your supply. Unless a doctor or lactation consultant has suggested you do it. Otherwise, just let your baby dictate how much you produce. Your body will produce as much as baby needs.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I pump so I can feed her...she wont nurse during the day...shes too interested in whats going on.and she bites me. so I nurse her at nite and pump to feed her and to store during the day.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Sounds great!! Kudos for you trying to give your child the best nutrition it can get!
    Anonymous

• i breast fed for the first six months but was never able to pump....not sure why...but my lactaction consultant recommended pumping in the shower and if i was in public to try and think of my baby to bring the milk down...sounds like your doing a great job and it is the BEST milk!
    Sunshine38585

Answer by Sunshine38585 at 9:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• sounds awesome, as long as you pump between every 2-4 hours and you "bond" with your pump you should be doing just fine- i bring my pump with me everywhere too, i can even drive using it! haha. the things we do! but its worth it, keep it up mama.
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 9:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• no pump has the ability to express what the natural sucking motions of a baby's mouth can. you may get a little. you may get alot. but breastfeeding by breast is always best. it's less work and better for her oral development. biting passes. but talk to a lactation consultant about any other problems. if this MUST continue, better it than formula feeding. super congrats on your commitment =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009