Morally, what do you think of IVF?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• i dont see any problem with it? there was a lady saying she was against it for reasons that mirror abortion and i didnt understand that at all. i think that IVF is 100% okay
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i don't see anything wrong with it
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it especially now a days that women are having such a hard time to conceive. I'm all for making a couple's dream come true.
    erlsk

Answer by erlsk at 9:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think most people that are against abortion believe that life starts at conception. With IVF, numerous eggs are fertilized, but only a few are implanted. Which would mean that some would be eventually destroyed. Unless you're like octomom, who apparently didn't want to "waste" the eggs she already had fertilized and had them all implanted, assuming that only one or two, if any, would survive. And surprise, 8 babies later, they all took.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• but you can freeze the eggs and use them later or you can donate them to a couple in need (i would have no problem doing that but some people do)
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes, you can. I was mostly just trying to address why someone would be against it for reasons that would mirror abortion.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• playing devil's advocate some embies dont survive the thaw so i suppose that could be why
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Some embies don't survive the natural conception process either, so that argument doesn't really hold water.

If it were not for IVF and ICSI, my twins wouldn't be here, so I'm too biased to respond objectively. I thank God that we live in a day and age where this is possible. How many women/couples suffered heartache and pain over the centuries because they could not conceive on their own. How sad.....
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i know halfpint, i was just playing devils advocate as to why someone would think IVF was immoral
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i did some research this is what i found: Why? IVF between husband and wife is condemned because it is illicit in itself and in opposition to the dignity of procreation and the conjugal union. IVF in which the sperm or ovum of a third person is used, is also condemned, because, in addition, it violates the reciprocal commitment of spouses and shows a grave lack of regard for that essential property of marriage which is unity. also deprives the child of her or his filial relationship with parental origins, can hinder the maturing of personal identity, can damage personal relationships within the family, and has repercussions on civil society.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009