beer question...

I have heard people say that drinking beer stimulates milk production. Well, I have never had alcohol in my life. would O'douls do the same thing?

calliesmommie

Asked by calliesmommie at 9:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its the yeast in the beer so i think it would work. dont quote me on that
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• DARK beer helps increase milk production. As long as it's a dark beer, drink away. 1 a day though ;)
    Anonymous

• 1/2 a can of lite beer wouldn't do a thing to you, even if you've never had a drop of alcohol. It will probably make you sleepy, but O'Douls does that too. Ug, and tastes gross. O'Douls= yuck! :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 9:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i know there are like yeast pills you can get that have the same effect as beer....
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Just wondering, what makes you think you have a low supply?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i wouldn't plan to drink alcohol while nursing. message me. chances are, there is NOTHING wrong with your supply and you don't need stimulated production. (VERY few women do) but if you want a boost to be safe, try oatmeal, mothers tea, fenugreek caps, pumping after nursing sessions even if nothing comes out, or the most safe and effective supply booster ever: nursing on demand and always offering the breast even to pacify =)
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i have gone from pumping 10 oz. in the morning to maybe 5 and every couple hours that I pump Im getting 2 oz. shes always hungry after she eats. I just feel like maybe its dryng up. Ihave tried the fenugreek and mothers milk tea. I can just tell that theres not as much there anymore.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• The best way to determine if you TRULY have a supply problem is by your dd's diaper count. If she is still having 6-8 wet diapers per day, you're fine.

I've noticed a lot of women don't take quite enough fenugreek. It's supposed to start working when you start to smell like maple syrup (your urine and your sweat). I took 4 capsules 3 times a day and within 2 days I was producing more, but you have to continue taking it.

Also, pumping isn't a good indicator of supply. Your baby is much more efficient at getting milk than a pump. After your baby reach's a certain age,you DO stop producing more, because your body is figuring out how much you need, and your supply starts to regulate. From your profile it looks like your baby is 2 months old? It is common for your supply to SEEM to be decreasing at this age.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• (Con't)

Does she take a paci? Because when my dd was that age, I thought she was always hungry, but it turned out she just needed to suck. She totally refuses the binky if she's actually hungry. I would try that if I were you. Babies are born with a strong need to suck, it's soothing to them.

As for the beer, it is DARK beer that is said to help.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 11:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009