How to stop almost 3yr old from taking off diaper/pullup?

I have been working on potty training my son for a few months now. I haven't wanted to force the issue however, he has now become VERY fond of taking off his diaper/pullup off and urinating on my carpet. Any suggestions on how to stop this behavior?? Also he has decided it is a good and fun idea to stick his hands in his pants after he has pooped and, you guessed it, has poop all over his hand and then comes running to me to clean it off his hand. Need serious help here. No one in my life has ever incountered this problem.

chriscree

Asked by chriscree at 9:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Do you have some lil boy pants already? That might be a BIG treat for him... and you too because he wont want to pee in those as much... And they are bit harder to get off depending on how your child is taking the pull up off (mine peels back the sides or rips lol) I get not wanting to push them... But it isn't good to be scrubbing the carpet all the time either... Mine does the same thing. I just started putting his BIG BOY! pants on him and he seems a little more content to tell me when he has to go. If he goes in the underwear he has to wear the diaper. Sooo I am kinda giving him a choice, kwim?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 9:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• How do you react when he does it? He might do it just to get a rise out of you, it makes it kind of a game to him. Let's freak mommy out, you know? Try to stay as calm and matter-of-fact as you can. And make him help you clean up whatever mess he makes.

If you put underwear on him, would he take that off too? It might be the quickest way to potty train him, and if he's potty-trained, you won't have to worry about it anymore.
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Move to full training. Get him into undies or let him run naked. Have him clean up the messes. He's old enough to wash his own hands (with you to make sure they are clean) and to mop up puddles, carry poop to the potty, etc. Yes, you will have to come through with cleaners but let him do the first pass of clean up
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• you need to start potty training him asap. cause he is ready to but trained . he trying to tell you he is ready to be trained by what he is doing. cause my son did the same thing . and now he is 4.and fully potty trained . so start training him.
    zazama

Answer by zazama at 2:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I agree with putting regular underwear on him, try taking him to the bathroom every 45 mins or so. Are you using a potty chair or putting training chair on the big potty? 2 of boys never used the potty chair, they didn't like it. I used a childs toilet seat and that worked. Maybe read him a book while he is sitting on the toilet. Good Luck! I am working on potty training boy #4. They are all different LOL
    4boysandmom

Answer by 4boysandmom at 3:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2009