Beets...what is a good recipe to introduce them to my family?

I've only tried them once in a salad and didn't really like them. Beet is the veggie of the month at our school. Can you recommend a good technique or recipe for cooking them. The kids are required to have them once per week next month and give an oral or written report on them.

PandaGwen

Asked by PandaGwen at 3:30 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Yuck! Only put beets in something you don't expect your kids to eat. They taste like the dirt they grew in.

Seriously, maybe a stew with lots of other veggies so there can be different flavors mixed with the bets? I think a lot of Russian cuisine uses beets. I saw a recipe for goulash on the Working Moms Slow Cooker Challenge last week on CM that included beets.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• If you roast them slowly so they carmelize a little they can be so sweet. Peel them if you think they taste dirt-y.

My family likes them roasted or boiled with a little Italian dressing on them.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• peel, slice, season and roast in the oven

or

peel, slice and boil then drain and season.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Peel, slice very thin on a mandolin toss with cracked black pepper and sea salt, olive oil and roast.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Once cooked and cooled, peel and dice them and add some finely chopped onion. Make a salad dressing with 1tbsp wine vinegar. Blend in 1tsp dijon mustard. Add 3tbsp oil (bland is best - sunflower, canola - not olive) and salt and pepper Mix well and pour over the diced beetroot, mix and serve. The vinegar takes away the sickly sweetness a bit. Serve as a starter. Add chopped fresh parsley if liked.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I'm not even sure they are in season. Why oh why would the school pick beets. Good to know about peeling them. Thank you.
    PandaGwen

Comment by PandaGwen (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2013