5 year old soiling herself

hi ladies,

an old school friend of mine has 4 children, ages approx 15, 12, 9 and 5

the 5 year old has had a lot of issues with constipation and been to the dr many times, the dr gave her some medicine which helped. during this time the little girl was going thru stages of wetting herself, even sitting on her own mom she would do it. now she has started soiling herself too. her mom has asked her why, she doesnt know is her response, she will not poop on the toilet.

my friend has tried different approaches with her from taking her to the toilet, waiting with her etc, but nothing seems to be helping. a health visitor is involved also but are not much help to her.

do any of you have any ideas what she can do to 'make' her girl use the toilet?

thanks so much

san78

Asked by san78 at 3:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I would do what the others mention. Also has a doctor evaluate her to see if there is something else that is making her do this? Does she has any other problems like developmental and stuff like that. I wish her the best

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 12:26 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Honestly at this point, I would have that child evaluated for being sexually abused. Kids do this when they want to make themselves seem gross enough to be left alone. Sorry this is just the first thought that I had.

I did have a child that was going through the wetting herself, but she was NEVER potty trained at a younger age.....she came from a very unstable home. I understand the frustration.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Rewards chart, has the chlld gone through some kind of divorce or feeling not wanted? You are not her mother, so if I were you, say to her mom, every time she poops on the potty she gets a treat ( the first few times something like McDondalds or whatever she usually doesn't get) the next few times a sticker etc. Holding your poo in is a sign of defiance, now it is most likely to the point she can't help but mess her pants.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• thanks for the reply, my friend has tried the charts and rewards, it works for a short time then goes straight back again. nothing has changed in er life, no traumatic divorce nothing like that.
    san78

Comment by san78 (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Is she in Kindergarten? I am wondering if when she does it, she gets to come home? What does she say when her mother asks her why did you mess your pants?
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 1:25 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• the girl is in full time school, 9 - 3
    san78

Comment by san78 (original poster) at 1:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2013