When I went for my son's ped for his yearly checkup, the dr said that he heard an "innocent murmur" from his heart. we even told the dr about a case of pulmonary hypertension in our family, but then too he took it lightly and said that he will check again on his next well child checkup appmnt. Does this happen with anybody else also. Does your ped heard an innocent murmur and it was nothing to worry.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have heard of this. A friend of mine' infant son had a tiny, tiny murmur. He had a work up done and they kept an eye on it. It corrected it's self before he turned 5.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:22 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Here are the issues with that: Your Dr. is not sure what he is hearing. You don't want him to "document" anything in the child's chart until further workup is done. If he documents this, it will always be a pre-existing condition which could affect his future insurance coverage and/or disqualify him from all sports, etc. Also, a murmur is actually pretty common. One Dr. might hear it, while one may not. With a child though, all possible studies and workups must be done. I would as to be referred to a cardiologist or take the child to a bigger city hospital for this type of work.

One Dr. wanted to do eye surgery on my granddaughter when she was a tiny baby. Luckily we chose to her to St. Louis for a second opinion. It turned out she was perfectly fine and that Dr. explained how her eyes would adjust on their own. They did... she is just fine now.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:20 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• And I am sorry, I can't type when I have some important to say.... my brain runs faster than my fingers. Too many errors up there ^^^. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I agree that murmurs are common. Our ped said the same thing. Was the case you told the doc about a parent or grandparent? if not they are not too teribly concerned with family outside of the immediate realm.
    He said he wanted to check it next time, so he will.

if you are unhappy you have every right to a second opinion but as m-avi stated the more documentation there is, there are chances of higher ins. premiums for yoru child and issues in sports.

Our LO has dimples in her shoulders, we think they are cute, doc scared the crap out of us by sending us to an ortho saying that her bones were not forming right, ortho asked why we were there, we told him, he read the referral and said sorry they wasted your time and money. She is fine and its not an uncommon thing to see.

So not all docs are right, it is a medical practice. Get that second opinion if it will ease your mind though
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Murmurs are common. I don't know how old your son is but if there are no other signs of heart problems in him and the murmur was faint it's not a bad idea to wait a year to see. However if you have any doubts a second opinion is certainly understandable.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• When my son was born, the doctor heard a murmur. It was gone by the next visit a few days later.

I had a 'innocent' heart murmur at one point

Heart murmurs are common and are at actually extremely common and are usually not a cause for concern. Some people have them all of their lives and it isn't a cause for concern. That is why it is called and 'innocent' murmur. That is the actual term doctors use and not just an extra word your doctor threw in.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I wouldn't freak out yet. If you want to get a second opinion because you're concerned, go for it. But be careful about pushing for a firm diagnosis, because once you get that, it will increase insurance premiums and put a lot of limits on him - even if they backtrack later and say "Oops, we were wrong!"

I would wait and let the doctor check it when he said he would. Even if the doctor forgets, you won't, so it'll get done. Wait until that point to worry, if there is even cause for concern.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:52 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Murmurs are common at this age and they are very slight. My DD has had one the last few times we have gone in for a checkup. She has typically been in a growth spurt at just about every visit in the last 3 years. Just let them keep an eye on it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I wouldn't worry too much about it if your doc says he isn't worried. I spent too many years worrying about my own heart and it's checked out just fine.
    I have a massive hole in my heart as a baby (a hole the size of a quarter). It wasn't detected until I was 1yr old because I was always sick and crying and the doc could never get a listen to my heart. They operated 3 months later (my parents had to get me to gain weight). All was fixed and I was given a clean bill of health at 10yo. At 16, I started having heart palpitations. The doc wasn't overly concerned, but I stressed about it for years! (I have a major fear of procedures so it took years to get a successful echo, ekg, etc). Everything checked out normal.
    If you baby is acting fine, just take the docs advice and wait. These things can self-correct. The primary reason a heart will "murmur" is because a valve isn't operating 100% as it should.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:24 PM on Feb. 4, 2013

• By the way, the hole in my heart was not an "innocent" murmur. The doctor called it a sloshing and sent me for immediate tests.
    If you are overly concerned, take him to a cardiologist for a listen. But remember this - doctors listen to THOUSANDS of heart and have heard all sorts of "off" sounds. I would take his word if he calls it an "innocent murmur" and just have it checked again at the next well-child check up
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2013