Urgent Care trip - no results - big bill

I went to an urgent care out of network while on vacation over Christmas. He did nothing but check me for strep and give me a Rx for some cough medicine. That didn't work better than Nyquil. I was having trouble catching my breath and sleeping. The nurse said my O2 stats looked low. But he didn't notice any unusual lung sounds. I couldn't even pick my 2 yr old up without running out of air.

So, I get home and go to the doc. Bronchitis.

So, do I pay the full ER bill or fight some of it, since he was obviously more worried about eating his dinner than my oxygen problems?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 4:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Health

• Pay it. Because it will ruin your credit if you don't. Next time. If you are not seriously injured. do not go to the ER.

Answer by louise2 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Which was it? Urgent care or ER?

If there's a way to fight it, I would. I don't know much about that.

I thought medical bills did not report to credit? You can pay them every month and they can't put it in collections. 5 dollars a month even,
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Unless you plan on filing a malpractice suit against said ER clinic, I think your only choice is to pay it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Pay it, you may not have had bronchitis the day you were there.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 4:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Was it ER or Urgent Care, there's a huge difference. Anyway, it doesn't really matter because either way the facility is going to tell you that you were seen and therefore owe the bill. The only way you could fight it would be malpractice or if you were never seen but billed anyway.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:37 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• he saw you, gave you an rx he did his job- he may not have heard a single thing wrong with you lungs at the time. It takes days for my chest to SOUND like its bronchitis, lucky for me the docs know my history.

by the way, why did you not just call your family doc, explain your symptoms? They can call meds in all ove the world ya know.

and staci- they can report if you are a day late if they want to, yes MEDICAL bills can ruin your credit! They will just list you as slow pay if you are not paying the full amount.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:39 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• You can always ask doctors to lower the cost, say you don't have insurance & are low on money - SOMETIMES they will work with you by lowering the cost. They might be flexible but don't get your hopes up too high, it wont hurt to ask!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:40 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I thought medical bills did not report to credit? You can pay them every month and they can't put it in collections. 5 dollars a month even,
    ___
    Oh, yes, they can!! There was a huge mix up with insurance when I gave birth to my second child and even though the hospital said they would wait for the insurance to clear up the situation, they wound up putting it in collections anyway.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• call and speak to human resources at the hospital
    let them know
    you went to regular doc when you got home
    and it WAS bronchitis
    if you let them know how wrong they got it- they may write it off

years back i was taken to ER and they totally got my thing wrong
    i called and told them how wrong they were
    they wrote the whole bill off
    including an expensive ambulance ride

i think worth a shot
    if they say sorry pay it
    you have lost nothing

also, years back step daughter went in to ER
    long story- but i went in to speak to person in charge
    they REALLY screwed that one up
    they wrote off the whole bill- that one i think they were worries about lawysuit
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• do not remember if it was human resources, now that i think about it
    i did call and get transferred
    met in person (both times) and both were written off
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2013