how do you deal with a kid who lies a lot but sometimes tell the truth?

Sometimes kids lie and can cause a lot of problems. I think is wrong to call a child a liar or acuse him of being a liar. I guess there must be a way to make the kid to go back to tell the truth without being too hard or making him feel humilliated. Any help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If I think a child is lying, I don't ask anymore questions. I focus on what I already KNOW and how I am going to find out the rest. I tell the child what I am doing, but I don't give him any opportunities to lie about the situation because I don't ask any more questions. I don't think you have to call the child a liar, but you can acknowledge what you know is untrue. Focus on the situation rather than the lie itself. I see it as taking the wind out of the sails of the lie. Render the lies useless.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:55 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• How old is he? Are the lies mean or hurtful? Or are they little small issues?
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Tell the story A BOY CRIED WOLF
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 11:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I've told my boys about the story "The little boy who cried wolf" and when he really needed help noone believed him... it made him think. Now when he's starting to ramble, I remind him that I'll find soon enough so it's best if it comes from him first. Then I get the truth because he knows if I find out he was (fibbing) he lose lego/art time for a little while. Is the fibbing school issue related?
    wahumominSA

Answer by wahumominSA at 1:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2009