Thought on going to a police academy at 40 years old?

My BFF always wanted to be a State Trooper. She's decided to join up. She'll have to be away from her husband for 7 months,and only see him weekends.
I'm worried about her decision because she has Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's,and will need to have her colon removed in the next 5 years. The meds are not controlling the conditions
I feel she might be having a midlife crisis. She has already gone to college for 3 different things (dental assistant,business school,and something in technology electronics) since 2002, and was never able to work a job in any of those fields due to her health.
Part of me wants to say congrats,but the mom in me wants to tell her that this isn't something she'll be able to do if her health takes a nose dive sooner than expected.
Her husband will not say one negative thing about any of her decisions
I know she'll be crushed if this fall through since it has been her dream ever since she was 16
I've decided to keep my mouth shut,lol

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Relationships

• Honestly, I doubt she will even make it. I was born into a State Trooper family and was raised to be one. I was in training and preparing for the academy when I got pregnant. My husband is a firefighter and we wanted one stable parent in his life, that meant I gave up my dream. Most days I am okay, but when I see some of the guys or see a Trooper car on the side of the road it hurts and it hurts bad. My son initials are even THP. . . I rambled, sorry, I am very passionate about this subject. My mom paved the way for a lot of women in the THP.
    CuriousArentYa

Answer by CuriousArentYa at 6:44 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Yes keep your mouth shut and maybe go with her to the ntitial visit because she is going to be rejected due to her health issues. I will almost guarrenttee that.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:12 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Good idea to keep the mouth shut! we must all follow our dreams....

Answer by older at 5:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Being supportive is the right thing to do for her. :)
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 6:07 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Friends support those they care about in their dreams, and friends are there to pick up the pieces if things don't work out. I'm sure your friend talked to her husband and did her research--and whether she did or not, whether she gets rejected or not, she'll need everything except to hear "I told you so."
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:18 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• hahaha - something to see older weigh in.

I fear your BFF has passed the age limit on that type of career, and esp. in light of her health problems - it is a no go.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• be supportve of it and be ready to be supportive when they turn her down "after the academy"
    the age limit here is 35 and you have to be able to do some rigorous stuff plus they do an extensive medical history check.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 6:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Agree with older, tessie, luv, Dard and Ballad. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Stick around for when her dream comes crashing in on her.....she is going to need a friend for sure....

Answer by older at 6:34 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I think they have an age cut off! She may be too old! Did she check on the age limit yet?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:45 PM on Jan. 28, 2013