Oatmeal? At every meal?

Would it be okay to give my 6 month old oatmeal 2 or 3 times a day. She's a heavy eater and i dont think I need to up her baby food intake. Or should I just feed her more baby food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use to do this at night before bed so she would sleep through the night, ask the doctor, but i think it is fine....

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Yes. 6 months is the recommended age for starting baby food anyway, so yes.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• It is fine to offer a little bit of oatmeal 2-3 times a day but until she is over a year old or eating a very large variety of foods- formula or breast milk should be her #1 source of nutrition. Remember the oatmeal have very little nutritional value and is just a filler.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:58 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I beg to differ about the nutritional value of oatmeal, it has protein, at least 6 grams in a cup, fiber, iron, magnesium and phosphorus

Answer by older at 7:17 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I agree oatmeal, when you are talking about infant nutrition offers very little. One can hardly live on fiber, iron, magnesium and phosphorous. You should not fill your baby up with any singular food. Until they are eating full meals then they should be filled up on formula and just practice eating real food.

Anonymous

• No! More breastmilk or formula, not more solids, not at that age!
    Anonymous

• untill she is older you should not do to much food only more milk. every one else already said why. when she is eating lots of foods you can start doing more food and less milk but not to soon.
    Anonymous

• A little at a time, but what I would do is make sure that you feed your baby formula or you first - then if that's not enough then go with the cereal...I did it with my first son - OMG, he would suck down me first, then bottle and THEN I'd put cereal in his milk because I felt like he was ALWAYS hungry! The Dr. said it was fine and the best part was it helped him sleep at night because he was FULL! Now my sweet boy is 16 and almost 6' 2 and still eats like he has not had a meal!
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 9:31 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Remember the liquid diet is most important. And beware the constipation risk with cereals. I wouldn't increase it. (Heck, I wouldn't even USE it... tastes icky.)

Answer by gdiamante at 12:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I would suggest you to give rice cereal once a day to 6 month old . Oatmeal would be too much fiber for her. And if she is a heavy eater then increase the amount of milk/formula in her diet. you can give her oatmeal twice from 7 months along with other baby food. Let her adapt to solids first.
    newmommy121211

Answer by newmommy121211 at 9:25 AM on Jan. 29, 2013