Lurking

So I was serious when I asked this in a now closed question.....what more do you learn by "lurking" than you do by participating?

It's not like you can lurk inside secret rooms with secret plotting going on or something....you get to read everything everyone else does. So, what is the additional knowledge gain?

Mrs_Prissy

Asked by Mrs_Prissy at 7:59 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• "everyone lurks, so what is the big deal" ... Everyone is a pretty broad generalization.  Please, do not speak for me.

"LURKING IS ALLOWED ON CM."  ... Defensive much?  Calm down.  No one said it wasn't allowed.  And why are you yelling?  Seriously, that escalated quickly.

"what is the additional knowledge gain?"  ... A smug sense of self superiority.

theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 8:24 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Context matters. Everyone should lurk instead of post their first week on a new site - that's any site, not just CM. That prevents the new person from coming off like a condescending bitch by jumping into the middle of a situation with no idea there's a situation to jump into. As for people who have been around and just like to troll - no, lurking does nothing except up their creep factor, and in some cases, they really didn't need any help with that to begin wtih.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• No, that's reading. I do that too sometimes. ^^^
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:03 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I missed the 1st post, but I hope you don't consider it lurking if we VU & don't answer. Sometimes there's not much more to add.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• ?????????????????????????????????

I guess maybe they just have poor memories so, they have to go back & re-read old stuff.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 8:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• all she learns is we really don't give a fuck what she does LOL
    sure we will play and even taunt but in the grand scheme of things she is just another poster
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:11 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Some people are just participators & some enjoy sitting on the side line I think. No error in that. Sometimes if I am in a bad mood I just like to read the posts or else I may say something that I shouldn't just because I'm a grouch that day.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:21 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I guess it's kind of like hanging out with a new group, lurking is like feeling them out? Lurking would save a lot of people on here hurt feelings and they would understand you need a thick skin to stick around long term.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:06 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• I read more than answer or even VU these days. Not much going on to give advice, most days. Besides, it takes too long to post or reload a page by cell...just not worth the frustration, for me.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:19 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• i have learned

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2013