Elbow Grease

My stepson was scrubbing paint off the kitchen sink the other day that he had dripped when he was making a model airplane. He complained that the job was harder than he thought it should be, so I told him to put a little elbow grease into it. He walked away, and I was about to follow him and say he had to finish the job.

Then I heard him ask his dad in the living room, "Hey Dad, where's the elbow grease?"

Have you ever been tripped up by an idiom of the language

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 8:53 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Oh, boy. My oldest did that same thing to me once. I had told her to put some elbow grease into it, and so she went looking for it. She told me she couldn't find it with the rest of the cleaning stuff...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 1:50 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• LOL.

I don't even know now what I was talking about, but I said something today about it being World War 3. My 11 year old told me very seriously "Mom, you know we've only ever had two world wars right? That doesn't even make sense."

Doh.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• lol no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:57 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• no
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Another time I had a co-worker who had come from Vietnam. She was trying hard to learn English. She came to me once and asked, "What does tah-dah mean?" It was kind of hard to explain.

One day I asked her how she was, and she said, "I'm so freakin' tired!"

I asked her if she knew what that meant, and she said no, she'd heard it in the cafeteria. When I told her, she was horrified.
    Ballad

Comment by Ballad (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Jan. 29, 2013