"Why are so many people flagging atheist mom's CNN iReport article as 'inappropriate'?"

Here's the story.

Why Are So Many People Flagging Atheist Mom's CNN iReport Article As ‘Inappropriate?'

by Matt Wilstein | 8:06 pm, January 24th, 2013» 304 comments

With close to 740,000 views and 10,000 comments, a CNN iReport article titled "Why I Raise My Children Without God" is one of the site's most popular features. But now CNN has been forced to defend the article from users who won't stop flagging it as "inappropriate."

In the story, a blogger identified only as TXBlue08, who also blogs at Kids Without Religion, discusses why she chose to raise her two children without God. In the opening section, she explains:

"I thought it was only right to be honest with my children. I am a non-believer, and for years I've been on the fringe in my community. As a blogger, though, I've found that there are many other parents out there like me. We are creating the next generation of kids, and there is a wave of young agnostics, atheists, free thinkers and humanists rising up through the ranks who will, hopefully, lower our nation's religious fever."

Those sentiments and the list of reasons for her decision that follow, including "God is not logical" and "God does not protect the innocent" have created so much controversy on the site that CNN recently updated it with the following note:

"CNN hasn't flagged this iReport as inappropriate, but some community members have. This is a divisive topic, however it does not violate our Community Guidelines, so we ask people to please stop flagging it. We will continue to review the story as often as possible."

CNN's iReport project is designed for contentious subjects like religion and atheism that stimulate lively discussions. For the many readers who have labeled the article "inappropriate," the idea of a mother actively removing religion from her children's lives was apparently too much to take.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What do you think?  Is it too insulting for this woman to have shared her views about religion?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Religious Debate

• It's insulting that her views aren't respected and there are probably nickel trolls doing the flagging or religious groups ganging up on her.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:10 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• i betcha the ppl flagging are of two types...the overly religious zealots, the type who blame everything on the "non-believers" and they are trying to keep America a Christian Nation (eyeroll). and the other is the honestly ignorant, uninformed type who just dont realize how many other faiths are out there and feel threatened by anything outside their bubble.

i think its silly that ppl are tagging it inappropriate, i bet they have no real reason for it. im glad to see that CNN sees thru it and isnt pulling to story or something dumb like that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:43 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• It's crazy that people are flagging the article as inappropriate if it doesn't violate the terms of the site. I don't share the blogger's views, but I'm okay with that. There's no law that says everybody, or even anybody, has to agree with me. Sharing different views and listening to the opinions of others, as long as they are given respectfully, is always a positive thing. I take what I need and leave the rest.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:06 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Just because YOU don't agree with an article does NOT make it inappropriate! Ridiculous. I actually had already seen the article and really like it. We are not atheist, but her POV is excellent. CNN has community rules and none are being violated so it is NOT inappropriate for their site.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Because Christians are cry babies. Seriously, if it was an article about "why I raise my children with God", they would praise it. And, while atheists would not agree, they wouldn't flag it as inappropriate, simply because they disagree.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I find it interesting that we all automatically assume it's Christians who are flagging this report. She never mentioned Jesus, just God. And a lot of her objections also could apply to other non-Christian religions. I assumed it too, and after a quick skim of the comments I still assume it's primarily freaking out a certain segment of Christian folk who are just used to insisting that they are right and any other thinking is a serious personal threat (not all Christians of course, just some). Given what I know about the US population, I think there may be the occasional member of another religion who think this is "inappropriate" but they know better than to raise a huge public stink.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 10:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• By the way, have you seen this rebuttal on CNN: Why I raise my children with God

I appreciate his respectful, thoughtful, sincere method of disagreeing. While I think he makes some good points, I also see a lot of flaws and inconsistencies in his arguments. But I can recognize this as a topic that is inherently open to much, much debate and disagreement. That's perfectly fine as long as it's done politely. The cowardly, thoughtless screechers who are flagging the original report are just pathetic. 

Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:08 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Religion is totalitarian by nature, so people who disbelieve and happily live without religion are a serious threat to that.

Simply put, we cannot be brainwashed.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:52 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• It could be those who don't believe in God and want to blame Christians for the flagging.
    Anonymous

• Some people feel very threatened by those who don't follow the rest of the sheep. It makes them uncomfortable and feel weak for not having a bigger backbone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 29, 2013