Can wearing your hair up in a pony tail all of the time cause split ends?

I use pony tail holders that do not have the metal part of it. I just got my ends trimmed not too long ago and I am already starting to get split ends again. I wear my hair up all of the time because it's whats easiest with my 6 month old son who loves to pull my hair when he gets the chance. I am not sure if wearing up my hair could be causing these new split ends. I don't use any heat on my hair or dye it. I do use hot oil treatments every once in a while because I like how it makes my hair soft. I am mexican and white so my hair is pretty thick and somewhat wavy. It's more straight than it is wavy. It holds alot of water. I have longer layers in it. Any ideas of what could be causing split ends anyone?

arielperez18

Asked by arielperez18 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 28, 2013 in Beauty & Style

• Could be the shampoo you are using. Try a sulfate free shampoo.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 28, 2013

• Possibly, but I know for me it doesn't. I always wear my hair pulled up and its very healthy. I don't use product on it very often, I don't color it anymore, and I only flat iron maybe once every month when we're going somewhere nice.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I don't see how it could.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 12:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Normally ponytails cause headaches or broken locks but not the split ends. Changing shampoos and using a deep conditioner would possibly help. What about your diet? Are you drinking plenty of water and eating healthy? Do you take a daily vitamin? You have a baby- if you BF or not your hormones can still be wacky and my hair dresser told me the hair is usually the worst on moms with babies out of everything aesthetic.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 1:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• i find that if I keep my ponytail bundled/folded over where both the hair at the head and the ends are in the holder that I tend to get split ends faster.
    How often do you get your hair cut? Or do you cut your own hair?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• idont think so
    san78

Answer by san78 at 10:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2013