Valentine's pagan holiday?

what exactly do people mean when they say valentine's day is a apagan holiday and what exactly is pagan? It scares me as a christian hearing this because it makes me feel like maybe it is something i shouldnt be celebrating. Any answers on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i thought it was a commercial holiday?
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• what scares you about pagan?
    Anonymous

• I don't know about valentine's day being pagan...but you don't need to be scared of paganism. It doesn't mean devil worshiping or Christian killer. It just basically means non believer of organized religon.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i just dont know what it means at all so i am asking. the name sounds a bit strange to me and when hearing this and that about it being the "devils holiday" i just wondered if they had anything to do with one another. That is why I asked the ? for some kind of explanation so I know exactly what people are referring to when they say pagan. Please excuse my ignorance(in its true meaning lack of knowledge) but i am asking to obtain more info
    Anonymous

• thank you hgibsonorc ! I just had no clue and was looking to educate myself on the matter
    Anonymous

• I just want to add that most religious holidays come from paganism. The christians used the pagan's beliefs to convert them to christianity easier. For example, the Virgin Mary started becoming a much more predominant figure when the Christians realized that the pagans celebrated women, including the "Mother Earth" in their ceremonies. The Christians wanted to come across that they too had a central female figure, hence the Virgin Mary. If I remember right from my Religon courses in college (it's been a while LOL) the date of Dec. 25th for Christmas was also a pagan holiday. Christianity and politics have been closely related since the beginning to take over populations, pagans included.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think Easter and Christmas have more to do with paganism then Valentine's Day. They are both heavily based on and influenced by Pagan rituals and holidays.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Valentine's Day is the celebration of the birth of St Valentine but has simply been absorbed into culture to be a day for lovers to show their love for each other.
    Anonymous

• Pagan actually is an umbrella term that includes all religions that are not Jewish, Muslim or Christian. So Hindus, Buddists, Druids, Wiccans, and everybody else are literally "Pagans" just like all Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans and all the rest are "Christians". In modern parlance Neo-Pagan means a polytheistic, earth worshipping person whose predominate diety is usually a Goddess or a dual Goddess/God.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Valentine's Day is an adaptation of the Roman festival of Junos, but don't worry, unless you're a newly pubecent boy pulling the name of a teenage girl out of a box to be your concubine for the year, you're not doing anything associated with the original holiday. The cards and stuff all come from the Sainted version. Course, the cupids are Greek, but you can skip em.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009