Has anyone else heard this....???

I once heard years ago valentine's day was a day slave masters killed naughty misbehaved slaves. I heard the red represents the blood of the slaves. Has anyone else ever heard this before. My grandmother refuses to celebrate Valentine's Day for that reason. She says slaves were hung, beat and butchered. I just wonder if anyone else has ever heard this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no never heard of it
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 9:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• ive never heard of that...if its true its horrible!!

but i know V-day didnt originate w/ that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Maybe it happened where she lived/grew up or something. I have never heard of that.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• my grandmom is only 67 and from PA. she has no clue about slavery from a personal standpoint and even if she was around then people would have never known she was a black woman. she used to tell us stories of how her dad had to pass hisself off for white and he was so fair with light hair that it actually worked back then. very interesting huh
    Anonymous

• Oh for pete's sake ... more drama to feed the hatemongers with ...

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Masters had slaves for doing work, either working in the fields or doing specialized tasks like being cooks or blacksmiths or carriage drivers or whatever. They were property like the masters work horses or prize stallions or other livestock. A farmer wouldn't intentionally kill or harm his livestock, and by the same token, a master wouldn't harm or kill a slave. Replacing them would cost time and money to find and buy replacements. A lot of slaves were loved by their masters and the master's family, and even those who weren't were protected for their monetary value.
    Anonymous

• Either way, That was a long time ago (if it's true). Now it celebrates love and family. Just because something possibly happened a long time ago doesn't mean we are celebrating for those same reasons. Things change.
    PinkDiamond717

Answer by PinkDiamond717 at 2:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• snowgirl79

Oh for pete's sake ... more drama to feed the hatemongers with ...

Good gracious.....something she and I actually agree on......

Here OP:

Valentines Day

anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:15 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• I have done a lot of research on the history of modern holidays & have read a fair amount on slavery (American & other forms) for my history courses & I have never read anything about that. Slave owners wouldn't wait for a special day to deal with slaves they considered problematic & execution would rarely be the way they dealt with "naughty" slaves. Most would be sold, with very few being executed for the sake of "setting an example" & inspiring fear, because they represented at least a decent investement. There is nothing in the historical record, as far as I know, to connect Valentine's Day with any aspect of slavery. Sometimes these legends grow out of isolated incidents, but if your grandmother lived in PA it is more likely that it was made up to fuel the anti-slavery movement.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Never heard that.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2009