Ever heard of this on v-day?

I once heard years ago valentine's day was a day slave masters killed naughty misbehaved slaves. I heard the red represents the blood of the slaves. Has anyone else ever heard this before. My grandmother refuses to celebrate Valentine's Day for that reason. She says slaves were hung, beat and butchered. I just wonder if anyone else has ever heard this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• I've never heard that. Everything I found online discusses that the original St Valentine was an early Christian priest or bishop who was killed by the Ceasars of Rome.

The only thing I can think of related to blood would be the St Valentine's Day Massacre, which was a gunbattle between two rival mob gangs in Chicago in 1929.  Bugs Moran lost 7 of his thugs to Al Capone's gunmen.

I couldn't find any link to African slaves.  The only thing even slightly African (in this case, African American) I could find was this very vehement article from the Black Homeschoolers Club saying that celebrating St Valentine's Day is a very bad thing.

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:07 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• the only thing i have EVER heard was about the bishop in Rome. Actually thats supposedely were the whole thing about valentines day card came from. it was all the letters from his followers. again this was only in a childrens book about the history of valentines day card sending.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 1:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Oh I wish I didn't Read this.. No. I never heard of it! The only way tro turn the day around is to honor them in A good Way.. Like A Prayers for Peace & for that or anything like it to never ever happen Again!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 9:58 AM on Feb. 14, 2009