Can someone tell me average cost of a homebirth?

I know it will vary widely by state and area, but I am looking for a general estimate. I want to have my baby at home badly, but with no private insurance it will all come straight out of my pocket. It's something I am willing to work toward, but I am sure i will have a better idea of how hard that work will be once I know how much it is likely to cost.

kitten_shuga

Asked by kitten_shuga at 9:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• In my area, it's $2500 including both prenatal and the birth. Extra for stuff like ultrasounds or tests of course.

A lot better than $300 for OB and then about $6000 for the hospital and THEN $1500 for my baby at the hospital.

I wanted a homebirth, but couldn't because I am a VBAC and it's illegal in my state for my birth at home :(. But I hope you find a great HBMidwife and get that wonderful homebirth!! GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• You know, I'm having a homebirth in July and my ins (which I got right before I was TTC) wanted to double my deductable and then only pay 50%. So stupid! I would end up paying more through ins than out of pocket. So, I cancelled it and the total cost for the prenatal, homebirth with 2 midwives and doula, birthing tub, and 6 postnatal home visits will cost 4,000.00. I am doing a payment plan where I pay them 500 a month until the big day. I say go for it! It most cases ins charges you more or won't cover it.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 9:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It can vary a lot from state to state, and based on what certifications or experience your midwife will have. I live in California and had a CPM/LM plus her assistant and it was $3500, but they recently increased it to $4000. If you want more answers to your questions, try the groups BIRTH IS NORMAL or Birth Unhindered.

squish

Answer by squish at 12:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• When my midwife assisted our son's birth in 2006, she charged $1500. This included her prenatal home visits, birth, and postpartum visit. She is now charging $2500. I know that she, and many other midwives, will barter with you if you can't afford their fees.
    kcangel63

Answer by kcangel63 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 16, 2009

• I just moved from Texas to Arkansas and my midwife is charging 1500 which I thought was cheap. When we were in west Texas it was about 2500 and the same for the dfw area.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 9:02 PM on Feb. 17, 2009

• The average homebirth in the United States is a simple $4,000- this includes the Midwife's fees as well as miscellaneous fees for supplies. My hospital birth was $10,800. It was a vaginal delivery with a 24 hour postpartum stay. My best friend's hospital birth was $14,500(ish). It was a cesarean with a three day postpartum stay. I honestly don't understand how most insurances wouldn't cover something as cheap as a homebirth. *Shrug*
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 12:20 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Mine is free because she is considered a Spiritual Midwife. She cant charge woman for her services because of something that happened many years ago in WA State ( where she is from) but she is allowed to practice legally still and allowed to do home births, bring her eqipment as well. i am using her and she is very very wonderful. I am due April 1, 2010 :)
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 12:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2009