Whats the best way to teach my 1 yr old to speak?

My son can speak several words like mama dada papa etc. He is able to recognise water and ball. But it all depends upon his mood, if he wants to speak he will speal mama whole day and if he dont want to speak, then no matter how hard I try he wont speak.

newmommy121211

Asked by newmommy121211 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep talking to him and telling him which words mean what. When he is ready, he will talk. Boys do tend to talk later so don't be alarmed if he doesn't talk for some time despite your efforts. But one day, he WILL talk ... and probably never stop once he starts!
    KZuz

Answer by KZuz at 10:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Try saying everything! Like if he wants his bottle say bottle and don't let him point make him use his words. I did that and people are normally impressed with the way she speaks so clear. Also, don't use baby talk!
    krisandriley

Answer by krisandriley at 10:27 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• I read them a lot of books at that age. I didn't read the story, but I pointed at the bunny and said "bunny", pointed at the hat and said "hat".... It seemed to work. But really, he'll talk when he's ready.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• The fact that he will talk but only when he wants to makes me think there may not be a problem. He might just be learning and storing up the vocabulary until he feels ready to start speaking more. My son was like that and still is - knows more than he lets on. And how old is he? What's expected for a 13 month old is way different than what's normal for a 22 month old but they are both still just 1 year old. Just keep talking to him about everything. And continue to give him chances to respond or test his understanding of the vocabulary, and then let him take it from there when he's ready.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 11:20 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Just keep talking to him all day long, then wait and let it happen. If he's not speaking by three or four, then there may be a problem. But many one-year-olds don't speak much.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• just show him objects and keep repeating the word and annunciating. they'll eventually catch on. you could also try to teach some common signs like "more" "all done" "drink" "eat" along with words so he can tell you what he needs that way as well.
    stephanieplante

Answer by stephanieplante at 12:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2013

• talk to him, read to him, an descrbe everything you do with him....(now I am going to wash your hair, lets put your shirt on, first we pull it over your head- then one arm, then the other) even if it seems mundane to you they are listening
    stephanieplante

Answer by stephanieplante at 12:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2013