Struggles with anxiiety...

Has anyone ever been there....what helped...What should i remember through out my struggle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Health

• I find it easiest to just avert my attention! I will think about good things in my life! I have been anxious my whole life and don't want to take meds for it! So, I just tell myself there is not point to being upset and try to talk myself out of it.
    krisandriley

Answer by krisandriley at 10:44 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• meditation
    deep breathing
    exercise
    warm baths

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:56 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• i had in past, years ago
    meds did nothing really for me except make me unable to tie my shoes well
    i went off meds
    and took control
    when an anxiety attack was coming on, i said to self, "oh this is an anxiety attack and it always fades after a bit, it is only temporary'
    after doing this and getting the hang of it
    i felt in control of the attacks and they come less often and finally stopped

i think anxiety attacks are your body reacting to a feeling of total lack of control
    be more powerful than the anxiety and you get a hold of them, and then they will fade into background, then stop all together

BUT
    i also get rid of what was causing the huge stress
    it was stress that i was not an owner of
    what i mean is- it was someone else's issue and i could not change it

knowing what is yours to own, and taking control over the attacks...i do not have these any more
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:01 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• being anxious about an anxiety attacks feeds them
    need to find a way to feel more powerful than the attack when it is happening

have to find a way to have power over those thoughts
    when an attack starts- do not think of your underlying issues
    feel the physical stuff happening, know it is an attack, and know it will pass very soon, think about breathing deep and knowing it is gone very soon, and think about "I always live through this, it will pass"
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• i love fiat's advice. as someone who has struggled with this as well for years, i can say her words ring true. although, it is easier said than done.

for me, i recently started focusing on something else, and it has helped a lot.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Fiatpax is right on. I get anxiety attacks, and I have medication, but I very rarely use it anymore. I just ride the attack out like a wave, and remember to breathe, knowing it will pass soon on its own. I's sort of like labor pains; mind over matter. You know what the attacks are and that they will go away, so they matter less, which makes them go away sooner.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:21 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• There are a lot of different things that help different people. You will need to do some experimenting to find what works for you. Some people simply get therapy and learn coping mechanisms and that is all it takes for them. I know one lady who, when she gets overwhelmed and the anxiety starts, just goes to a certain window in her house and watches the birds outside and that calms her down. For some people it is yoga. Others use meditation. Sometimes medication is necessary.

I recommend that you start by really focusing on deep breathing. Then try to pinpoint if there is a specific place in your home or a specific thing that you can do that always calms you and brings you peace and happiness. If you can identify one of those things, you can go to that place or do that thing when you become anxious. Along with deep breathing that could work to calm you. If none of your coping things work, therapy or meds might be in order.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 2:57 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• ...Cont. So start experimenting, see what works for you. Bring a doctor into the mix and see what ideas and things your doc can do to help. Talk to a counselor. Everyone copes differently. It can be tricky to identify exactly what combination will work for you, but once you figure that out, it can bring you so much relief. GL
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 2:59 PM on Jan. 29, 2013