In your opinion, what is the best family dog?

Good with kids but very protective

I was thinking on getting my kids a dog, maybe a boxer. My DD was raised around one her first year of life and the boxer was so good with her. Played gentle with her and was always following her when she was crawling or standing.

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Pets

• Best family friendly breeds are as follows
    Golden or Labrador retriever
    Boxer,
    Beagle,
    West Highland white terriers
    Shetland sheepdogs

We have a Boxer.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• boxers are a good choice, but my best dogs have been mutts!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• While you want one good with kids, don't forget the energy level of the dog and how it will fit into your lifestyle. If you are living in an apartment or don't have a large yard, some breeds won't work as they are high-energy and need room to run. I generally like mutts over purebreds. Unless you find a reputable breeder, the purebreds sometimes can get quirky due to too much inbreeding.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• We have a German Shepherd and she is amazing with my boys. But, she is a submissive GSD, if she were a dominant GSD it would not be as good a fit. I love Boxers, they have great energy for kids.
    We always had mutts growing up so don't discount them. We had a Rottweiler/Saint Bernard mix growing up and he was the best dog ever.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Here's an easy way to see what type dog would fit your family.
    http://animal.discovery.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• With a large yard, you could get a bigger dog like a Labrador. Chocolates tend to be more high energy, while blacks and yellows tend to be more trainable. Golden retrievers are awesome. Purebreds tend toward more health problems than mutts. Really, it's whatever fits your family and meets your needs. I had friends who adopted former racing greyhounds, which suited them wel because greyhounds are born couch potatoes unless that rabbit is bounding out in front of them. Beagles are fun, but they're a little hard to train--and very hard to catch if they get out of the yard. You might think of going to a shelter, telling the staff you want a dog for your kids, and just seeing what turns up. I like to see dogs adopted from shelters rather than bought from pet stores; there are plenty of dogs who need good homes, so breeding and selling more of them seems crazy to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Lab or Cocker Spaniel.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• We used to have a German Shorthair (he died), he was amazing - he hadn't been raised around kids at all but when we started having kids he turned into the biggest protector - never tried messing with them, just sat or laid and let them do what they wanted. But try to do anything to the kids and he went after whoever was messing with the kids!

We have a Lab now - she's just as good as the GSH was, maybe even better since she was raised with our kids.

We also have a chiweenie now (have had her for over 2 months) and she's great too - not so much in the protection part since she's barely 3 lbs ;o).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:11 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Pit bull, ours is such a nanny.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Why don't you foster a dog? that way you can see if he/she fits in, and if not they are still up for adoption even if you can't keep them.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:48 PM on Jan. 29, 2013