What are some good chores for a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:29 AM on Jan. 29, 2013 in General Parenting

• Laundry. My Son would empty the dryer (while I watched), fill the wash basket & slide it into the den for me to fold. Later he helped with folding. Give them a damp rag with a little soap & tell them to wipe their toys clean and theirplay tables. I filled a clean out Windex bottle with a little water & gave it to my son with paper towels to clean the low windows. He loved to do that. But he got wetter than the windows! LOL!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• At these ages I would have them "help" rather than give them tasks to complete on their own. The 3 year old can certainly put toys away, get dirty clothes in the laundry and help with the sorting for washing. He can help unload the dryer also. The 5 year old can have more to do. He can help set/clear the table at mealtimes, make his bed, keep his room clean.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:52 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• sorting laundry is always good, i try to get my 3 and 5yos to help fold but that doesn't always turn out well :P They both LOVE to dust (which is awesome cause I hate it!), we usually just give em an old sock and spray it with Pledge and let em go at it :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:53 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Picking up their dirty clothes
    putting away their toys.
    Taking dishes to the kitchen to be washed
    match pairs of socks (laundry)
    dusting things that don't have anything breakable on top of them
    the 5 year old in particular can get things from the fridge for you for dinner and the three year old can help and learn depending on how they work together. In one place I live the fridge was all the way on the other side of the kitchen and the kids would make an assemlby line. They can also put them back.
    The five year old is old enough to rinse dishes and putthem in the dishwasher.
    The three year old can put them in the idshwasher with direction and of course not the china lol.
    They can wipe up spills they make.
    all sorts of things.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:59 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• keeping their rooms clean

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• sorry for the typos!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:43 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• My daughter will be five in a month. She needs reminding, but she feeds the cat every morning. She takes dishes to the sink when she finishes with them. With some help and coaching, she puts toys away and throws dirty clothes in the hamper. I'll have to try her at dusting. I hate it. I never thought of that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:02 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• My 4 year old has been helping me with chores for a while now. He helps me load the dishwasher, he helps me with the laundry, he feeds the dog.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Whatever they are interested in. My son told us he would like his job to be clearing the table each night after dinner. (We had not told him he needed any job!). He also loves dusting.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 1:49 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• mine are 4 & almost 2. the youngest only puts away his toys (and even then i have to tell him which toy, one at a time). but my 4 year old likes to vacuum, dust, and is great at sorting clothes for laundry. she also puts her dishes in the sink and wipes down the shower walls when she's taking a bath. she thinks they're all games!

im waiting for the day they can wash dishes...thats my least favorite chore haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:27 PM on Jan. 29, 2013