What can I do for them? (Elephant ear plants)

I think that is what they are called...lol This past freeze I did not take care of them bc they have always took care of themselves but this time the big leave part is now shribbled and dry out, except for the stem part.
Should I just chop the leaves off or what?

Thank you you green thumbers something I am not obviously.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 29, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Just trim away the dead parts after the danger of frost has passed. The plant is dormant now.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:18 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• Depends on where you live. Here in NY we have to dig out the root & replant in the spring. You could try that or just cut the leaves off to the ground if you are in a warmer climate.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:45 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• if you want to. its not going to hurt it. It just means that the leaf part is dead, i think it will just grow new leaves around it, elephant ears are pretty easy to take care of and picking out the dead leaves isnt going to do anything harmful to the plant.
    lovekitchenmama

Answer by lovekitchenmama at 11:46 AM on Jan. 29, 2013

• hack it! It will come back. The dead part isn't going to suddenly return to life. Chop it off at the base and just wait. Make sure it's getting plenty of water. If you live here in SoCal like I do, the air is cold but also very dry. Water the thing and watch it come back to life over the next many months
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 29, 2013

• It depends on where you live. If it is wamer, which I assume it is since you don't have to dig them up in the fall, I would just trim back all the dead leaves when it gets warmer and water them well. I live in central Missouri, so have to dig mine up in the fall and replant in the spring.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 29, 2013