How do I manage our money?

Hey guys. I need help managing my money. Im not great with managing it, but hubby is worse. I go to school and he works, and makes really good money, but somehow we dont ever seem to have any money or dont even get some of our bills to pay. I had BAD credit when I met my hubby and he didnt have any, and now his is bad too even after I tried showing him what not to do. Does anyone know of any websites that show you how to manage your money correctly or maybe some kind of spreadsheets.. advice, tips... anything. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I will give you the rules my dh and I go by that work for us.

#1 We pay bills FIRST.
    #2 I use a set amount of cash for our grocerys/household things
    #3 My entire check goes into savings (I just started back working this year so we wanted to stay dependant on ONLY one income.
    #4 Any left from my dh income is free spending, or for extra surprize things like new tires or repairs ect.

These may not work for you. just thought I would pass along what we do.
    My dh is a money wizard though, he is working on his Doctrate in MATH....lol!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Check out Dave Ramsey's books and website. He offers great advice on ways to get out of debt and to live responsibly and within your means.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes KTMOM is right, Dave Ramsey is GOOD. My dh listens to him on the radio all the time on his way to and from work!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I also recommend Dave Ramsey, especially his book The Total Money Makeover. You should be able to check it out at the library. He also has a show on Fox Business at 8 pm EST , a radio show, and a website that you can check out. But the book is where I think that you guys should start.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Yep, Dave Ramsey. Get the book The Total Money Makeover. Or you can check it out from the library.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 10:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Get a financial advisor.

Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:32 AM on Feb. 14, 2009

• Dave Ramsey's books would be great for you to check out.

When you learn the difference between a need and a want and stick to buying only things you need you will be able to manage your money.
    Anonymous

• Make a budget. Include every bill INCLUDING groceries and gas for your car (you need to eat and you need gas in your car sso they are bill s IMO). I set the same amount aside every payday for groceries and gas for the car, if I go under that great and if I go a little over it's not a huge deal. I use a calculator, a menu and a list so i rarely go over. Pay cash for everything you buy (in the form of cash, check or bank debit/credit straight from your account) and keep track of your spending on the little things.
    Anonymous

• MSN Money is my favorite. I also watch Clark Howard on the weekends; he's on HSN.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 1:09 AM on Feb. 18, 2009